What Should I Expect for Revision Rhinoplasty Swelling and Recovery Process?

I just had a revision with ear cartilage 10 days ago. My nose looks much wider than before and extremely swollen, which is to be expected at this point. I was hoping for a thiner more defined nose with smaller tip, but don't really know what to expect as far healing and when the majority of swelling will reside. Can swelling really disguise the look of a nose so much that it looks alot wider/fater than anticipated? Thank you for answering questions!

+3

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty, for over 20 years and the degree of post Rhinoplasty swelling varies a great deal, IMHO, based upon the following factors:

1. The degree of intervention (tissue disruption, breaking bones, etc.) required during the Rhinoplasty.
  2. The amount of time the Rhinoplasty takes to perform.  Swelling, IMO, goes up exponentially the longer the tissues are being manipulated.  A 1 hour Rhinoplasty has X swelling but a 2 or 3 hour one might have 6 or 7 times as much swelling which is why you select experienced Rhinoplasty surgeons who can work quickly and efficiently.
  3. How active the patient is during the initial post Rhinoplasty stage.

These are all contributing factors to how the nose looks immediately after Rhinoplasty and for the first several weeks.  At 10 days postop, you surely have swelling so the final results won't be obvious at this point.  You should ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon these questions and follow his/her postop instructions.

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Swelling after revsion rhinoplasty lasts at least 1 year

+1

After grafting in revsion rhinoplasty, you need at least 1 year for it to resolve; patience is essential! If your surgeon was pleased, you probably will be as well. Good luck.

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty swelling

+1

This soon after surgery swelling can make your nose look significantly bigger than it ultimately will be. It will take months for the swelling to dissipate, but give it time. Your surgeon should be able to give you a better idea of how your healing is progressing as time goes on.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/revision-rhinoplasty

How long does swelling last after second rhinoplasty

+1

Take a breath, sit back and be patient. Revision rhinoplasty with ear grafting can often be a 12-18 month process  before complete healing occurs. You will see a lot of change before that, but your tip will be slow and subtle. 

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling following rhinoplasty surgery is expected and will disguise your final result.  You are only about 10 days out, so please be patient as the swelling subsides.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/about-us