Do I Need a Revision Rhinoplasty or Can Steroid Injections Help?

My surgeon did an excellent job. I however had two different incidents where my nose experienced some trauma. Do you think a revision is necessary and if it is how difficult would it be to complete? I think a steroid could fix one of my problems but the tip would probably need to go under the knife again. Thank you so much for your expertise and look forward for your advice.

Steroid shot to nose

+2

Steroid shots to the nose are best reserved for patients who have thick skin and have undergone a rhinoplasty.  A steroid shot will not help out with previous trauma

Is a revision rhinoplasty necessary, or can steroid injections help?

+1

It would really depend on the nature of your problem. In general, the use of 5-Flourouracil mixed with Kenalog (a steroid) is a great way to reduce swelling after surgery. But it will not help improve a structural issue that is the result of nasal trauma. If the structure of your nose has been damaged, revision work may be necessary depending on the issue. An in-person exam would be advised to determine your needs and the complexity of a potential revision. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Trauma To Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to answer this question without photos and exam.  First, the cause of the irregularities has to be determined.  One must determine if you experienced structural damage vs swelling(only) after your injury.  Steroid injections are only useful in dealing with excess subcutaneous scar tissue formation.  Injections will not correct structural instability or damage done to the nasal cartilage or bones.  I suggest you followup with your surgeon for a consultation to determine this.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid Injections vs Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Steroid injection can be helpful if the contour irregularity is secondary to scarring. This approach will not work if there are structural changes. Please send pictures if you want more specific recommendations.

Steroid Shots for Nasal Trauma

+1

If the cause of the deformity is due to structural cartilage or bony damage, steroid injections will not be useful and rhinoplasty will be needed.

Revision Rhinoplasty or Steroids?

+1

Steroids usually help persistent swelling, particularly over the skin just above the tip of the nose. If trauma has moved the bones or cartilage of the nose then typically surgery would be indicated to improve the appearance. Occasionally dermal fillers can be used to mask minor post operative irregularities. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Steroids can help kick start the scar remodeling process

+1

It is difficult for me to comment on your issue without photographs. Steroids are very useful in select concentration and in select cases. Most commonly they are used to aid the scar remodeling process in the supratip area after a dorsal hump has been removed. This area can often get swollen because a dead space exists where cartilage once resided. This is especially true in patients with thick sebaceous skin and darker complexions. If some fullness exists then judicous steroid injections can be performed. It is unwise to be very aggressive here because some telengiectasia and thinning of the skin can occur. If it is a truly a cartilage problem the steroids would not be the choice and a surgery would probably be necessary. Hope this helps.

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon