Revision Rhinoplasty and Sinus Infection

I had rhinoplasty 3 years ago.I didn't like and request for the implant to be removed.Lately I realise that I have problem breathing.(I have been sinustis since I was a kid and had surgery to removed the infection area).Does anyone could advise whether my primary rhinoplasty had caused the sinus infection on me again?

I'm planning to do a revision with rib cartilage and at the same time fix the sinus infection that I have.If the infection persist,is it safe to get it fix after my post revision?

Revision rhinoplasty and sinus infection

+1

Chronic sinus infections and revision rhinoplasty are 2 completely separate issues that are not related.  Chronic sinus infections caused by allergic nasal polyps located inside the sinus cavities are due to allergic rhinitis.  These polyps are a medical condition that is treated with endoscopic sinus surgery, which is billed to the patient’s own medical insurance.  The revision rhinoplasty is performed on the external portion of the nose to improve the appearance and contour of the nose.  A septoplasty is performed for breathing issues.  The cosmetic revision rhinoplasty is an elective cosmetic procedure paid for by the patient and not billed to insurance.  Both of these surgeries can be performed concurrently when needed.  Chronic sinusitis is only documented with a CAT scan of the perinasal sinuses to determine if there are any polyps located in the sinuses creating chronic sinusitis.  

Sinus problems

+1

It is possible that removal of the implant has caused collapse of your nasal airway.  Placement of a rib graft to support the nose may solve the issues.

Sam Naficy, MD

+1

Your sinus infection should be controlled before having surgery. During the operation you can have the cosmetic surgery done,  the nasal airway improved, and the cause of your sinus infections corrected.