Revision Rhinoplasty 1 Year After First Surgery?

I am a 32 year old female and I had a surgery done on a month ago. My diagnosis was: Kyphosys nasi et deviatio septi nasi. Rhinitis hyperplastica. I had two doctors performed my surgery, an oral surgeon and a plastic surgeon. OP was: Septorhinoplastica corrective. Mucotomio bill.Post op., recovery went well.

I went to see my doctor today, one month after surgery, and he told me that he is not happy with the outcome(my nose was asymmetrical, the left and right side are completely different) and he wants to perform revision surgery six months from now. I'm not happy with results either, but I thought that we should wait for one year to pass, but he said it would be alright. Now I'm confused. He has a good reputation and he is a member of ASAPS. What shall I do?

When can you have a revision rhinoplasty?

+2

Generally surgeons say wait a year. Why? Because this is how long it takes for the vast majority of healing to have finished. Since revision work is more difficult than the first time, surgeons want everything to be going as best as possible before starting another surgery. Its difficult having to wait, but if it will increase the likelihood of success, then its worth it.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to perform revision rhinoplasty surgery

+2

Ultimately, the decision on when to perform revision will be up to the surgeon (and you). Many surgeons wait 1 year, some may feel comfortable doing it sooner.  It may depend on the what he/she did the first time around, and the amount of revision required.  It is probably best that you bring your concerns up with your surgeon, who may explain why he/she feels that 6 months is a good time to do the revision.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

There is no absolute rule that a patient must wait one year for a revision. Nor is your surgeon saying that it should be done in exactly 6 months. As he follows your  recovery he may suggest waiting a bit longer. Follw his advice as you progress.

Follow your surgeon's recommendations

+2

Your surgeon may have insight into your nose that has prompted him/her to make the recommendations they did. I would follow their advice. Nothing is written in stone and if things should change or the swelling persists or the timing is wrong, you can always modify the date of the surgical revision. A lot will change in the next three months. Work hand in hand with your surgeon. It is their goal to achieve the best possible result they can.

Rhinoplasty and when to do revision rhinoplasty

+1
In my practice I unfortunately do a lot of revision rhinoplasty surgery from other physicians it is my personal choice to typically wait at least one year. This allows a more predictable result for the revision rhinoplasty. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

The timing of revisional rhinoplasty depends on various factors

+1

The use of revisional rhinoplasty is based on two factors, need and timing. Sometimes the need for it can be seen quite early, other times the need does not appear for many months or even years as the nose settles. In the case of the late revisional rhinoplasty need, the timing of it is much easier to decide as the nose may have had plenty of time to heal and relax. This is certainly true in most issues that are not discovered or considered until 6 months or later after the original surgery. But when the need is felt to exist in the first few months after surgery, the decision is more difficult. The patient is understandably anxious but the nose is still healing. The key is not to re-operate on a nose until the target is stable. Is one certain that what you are seeing is consistent and not changing. Does more time have the potential to alter what one sees? For these reasons, six months should transpire before revisonal rhinoplasty is done in most cases.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

There is no set rule on when to do revision rhinoplasty

+1

There is no set rule on when a revision should be done.  It is true that swelling can take 9-12 months after rhinoplasty to settle down.  However, if a surgeon can clearly see that things are not going according to plan, it is not unheard of to do an earlier revision.  Talk to your surgeon about his and your goals.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of revision rhinoplasty

+1

Unless there is something very dramatically wrong, then it is best to wait at least one year if not longer before doing the revision because it takes that long for all the swelling to go away.  The nose s the body part that takes the longest to recover this way.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Have Patience!

+1

Following Rhinoplasty surgery, it is very important to have patience. There can be considerable swelling that will decrease following 3 months. The results usually continue to improve for up to a year. Some aspects of your nose that you are seeing now may not be there long term. In particular, the tip is the area of nose that can have the most swelling, and can decrease in size.

The initial effects of rhinoplasty may not be visible for weeks and the final result may not be attained for many months. In any event, the decision to re-operate should be made jointly between you and your surgeon after careful consideration of the risk factors and prospects for improvement. 

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty may improve results

+1

In general most surgeons like to wait 6-12 months before a revision rhinoplasty.  Sometimes the surgeon may decide early on based on the intra-operative experience and the immediate post op appearance that a revision will be needed.  Even in the most experienced surgeons a 5-10% revision rhinoplasty rate occurs.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon