Waiting 2 Years to Remove Implant from Nose, Have I Waited too Long for Good Results?

I got an implant in my bridge that's too high, made my nose and nostrils crooked. My nostrils I think were just emphasized by the implant, but I will conslut my surgeon about it. The only time I have to get a revision is in the summer, which makes it 2 years since the primary procedure. I heard that it is better to have the silicone removed sooner than later, but I simply did not and will not have the time until the 2 year mark. How will keeping the implant in for this long affect the revision?

Removing nasal implant two years after surgery

+1

A silastic silicone implant can be removed in the office under local anesthesia.  This is a rather simple procedure to perform, but it is important to you are indeed certain you no longer wish to have the implant.  Waiting 2 years is not a problem as long as the implant is not infected.

It is time to remove a nasal implant if you are not happy.

+1

Hello 8044anon;

From an appearance standpoint, if a nasal implant has not been satisfactory at two years, the appearance is not going to improve.  Therefore, it is time to take it out. 

Remember that once you take the implant out, the nose will be different.  It is possible that the bridge will be lower and not to your satisfaction.  So, after removal, wait a few months before deciding if you like the appearance.  If not, remember that you can also use a filler to gain some increased height. 

Most likely, the height of your nose, or the level of bridge, will still be higher than it was without the implant because Nature has left behind a capsule, or internal soft wall of scar, which takes up room.  Give it at least 3-4 months before you make any judgment about the satisfaction with your nose.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Nose implant removal

+1

Actually, it does not hurt the result if the implant is left in unless there is an infection and then it must be removed. I usually replace the silicoine implant with septal or ear cartilage.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

+1

Without complications such as infection, your timeframe should not influence the result of your revision procedure. More important is the plan for revision that you and your surgeon have decided upon. Do you intend to use your own cartilage or another implant? Are you trying to go in a different aesthetic direction? You need to be on the same page with your surgeon and choose one who is able to offer you a variety of techniques to get there.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately you are not alone.  This is a common request by patients who have had implants in their nose.  While it would be better to have the implant removed sooner than later, you need to consult with a board certified specialist in Rhinoplasty surgery who can assist you in customizing a plan for your specific situation to achieve the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

+1

The nasal implant should be well healed anytime 1 year after the Rhinoplasty, IMHO.  Waiting another year to have it removed should pose no issues, IMO.

Removing the silicone implant

+1

At this point in the healing process (over a year), keeping the implant in until the summer should not adversely affect the results of a revision procedure. The only two factors that would necessitate earlier removal would be an infection, or if you couldn't tolerate its appearance until the scheduled summer operation. Good luck!

M Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

You will have  no additional problems removing the silicone implant at the 2 year mark rather than now. You may choose to reposition the implant, but you should consider the use of your own cartilage to augment your nose because there is less risk of movement and infection.