Revision Rhinoplasty Recovery Time? Rough estimate on how much of the swelling will reduce in the next couple of months?

I had revision rhinoplasty performed almost 2 months ago and the majority of the work was done to the Nasal Supratip of my nose. My nose is still pretty tender to the touch and also does not look much different. I have thick skin which I have heard plays a large role in the healing process.For ex. on a scale of 1-10 how different will my nose look in 3 months from now?

Revision rhinoplasty recovery time

+1

In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. The final result may  not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. Swelling can be influenced by the following: Thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether the procedure was open or closed, and whether or not tip work was performed.  After two months, you will still have swelling. And in general, patients with thick skin are not always able to achieve the level of definition they desire. I would recommend communicating any concerns to your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty and swelling

+1

Alex1993,

I typically tell my patients that 60% of the swelling will go away in 14 days, 70% in 21 days, 80% in 3 months, and 100% at 12 months.  This is for primary noses (without any history of swelling) with thin skin.  Revision rhinoplasties generally take a few weeks longer, so 70% at 3months, for the swelling to subside because of the interference of old scar tissue.  If you have thick skin, the skin acts as a sponge and can hold on to fluid fo even longer, so probably 60% at 3 months and probably 100% at 15-18 months.  The tip and supratip tend to hold on to swelling the longest as they are the most dependent part of the nose.  Give it time and patience, and you should see the nose you want to in due time.  Good luck. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon