Revision Rhinoplasty Pain and Numbness?

I am going in for my fifth and LAST rhinoplasty. Going in with an absolute mess...breathing problems, deformities, etc. Question is that I have pain and numbness in my nose and this is several years since my last revision. I think it is because so many displaced grafts. Will my pain possibly improve with a well done revision? Same question on the numbness ... Will that possibly improve? Thank you Nick

Numbness after Rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. It is also not uncommon that one side of the nose is more numb than the other. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case. In certain cases where an implant was used, numbness could be caused by compression against the implant, or if it happens years later, then an infected implant can cause numbness as well.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty Pain and Numbness?

+1

Pain and numbness are unlikely to improve in the 5th revision, and breathing problems and cosmetic deformities to be addressed will be a challenge.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty and numbness

+1

Nick,

I hope your surgery goes very well.  I wouldn't expect the pain and or numbness to improve after your rhinoplasty as usually this is secondary to poor nerve healing as opposed to displaced grafts; depending on the nearby structure and location of the graft, mild prolonged pain might be possible.  If you get improvement in the pain and numbness after surgery, consider it an added bonus but I wouldn't use this as the sole reason for having a rhinoplasty.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon