First Rhino Surgeon Rushed Surgery (Less Than 1 Hour); Should Revision Be Closed or Open?

I am 1 1/2 years post primary septo-rhino with bad results:crooked nose, bulge on one side (cut too much cartilage), hanging columella, collapsed tip implant, uneven nostrils, deviated septum and a hump.These issues were caused by a rushed surgery that took less than an hour. My own surgeon says revision will be closed and will take about 1 1/2 hours. I have consulted 5 other surgeons who all say they'll do an open rhino that will take 3 hours.I cannot afford another surgeon. What should I do?

Revision Rhinoplasty with Open or Closed Technique

+2

Based on the multiplicity of deformities you describe, an open approach likely gives better access through which to address them.  More importantly, you want to have a good feeling that the surgeon you choose sees the same things you do, and makes you feel confident that a better result is likely.  If your original surgeon does not inspire such confidence from you, then you are much better off going elsewhere despite the cost.  A second revision surgery is much more difficult and less predictible than the first revision.

Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Using Open or Closed Technique

+2

I'm sorry about your problems following the original rhinoplasty, but pick the surgeon, not the technique. Based on what you describe I would use the open technique. Don't choose your surgeon because of the price; you want this to be your last rhinoplasty.

Revision Rhinoplasty open or closed

+1
It is always dissapointing to hear that any patient is unhappy with their results and very unfortunate circumstance which I am sorry you are having to deal with. The amount of time of a surgery does not denote it's results it is the expertise of the surgeon. Closed Rhinoplasty doesn't need to take three hours either in the hands of a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon. I do the majority of my rhinoplasty surgeries with the open technique and the revision rate is little to none. Since you have had a previous bad rhinoplasty I would suggest going to a skilled and highly recommended rhinoplasty surgeon who is familiar with the open technique and can fix your nose with any further revisions. This is a case when the third time is not a charm! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD