Will Nose Tip Retract During Revision Rhinoplasty Healing?

While I know it is still VERY early in the healing process after Revision Rhinoplasty, I am concerned because the tip of my nose seems longer and still quite bulbous, with the columella hanging a bit (basically I hate my profile, more so than before the surgery). Is it possible that the tip can still retract upward and in a bit while healing?

Swelling after rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty

+1

You should give your body and nose time to heal after revision rhinoplasty. Micromanaging the recovery is not worthwhile as the nose will soon resume its final contour once the swelling subsides. 

Revision rhinoplasty tip swelling.

+1

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty is usually greater, so although it doesn't last longer, there is more present at any given point in time than a primary rhinoplasty of the same degree of surgery. Also the swelling disappears in a vertical fashion, that is to say the root of your nose more rapidly resolves than the tip. Two months as you know is too short to really be able to predict much.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery From Revision Rhinoplasty Takes Longer

+1

Recovery from revision rhinoplasty usually takes longer than the first surgery -- especially for the amount of swelling and the length of time that swelling persists.

Frequently, the tip of the nose after revision rhinoplasty looks large. This is because of swelling (edema) that is retained in the skin and also scar tissue that is being deposited between the skin and the nasal framework.

The nose will undergo significant changes during the first 12 months (or more) after surgery. The swelling gradually subsides and as this scar tissue matures, it contracts. This can cause the nose to rotate upwards or allow the nose to sit closer to the face.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

You do not mention when your surgery was done, but post-operative healing always takes significantly longer than you experienced after the original procedure. Be patient and share your concerns with your surgeon. 

2 months is too soon to judge your final result after rhinoplasty.

+1

If you're overall happy at 2 months, you'll likely be thrilled as the rest of your swelling dissipates. I'm not sure what you don't like about your profile. Feel free to post / email me a picture of your full face (frontal and profile), and I'll be happy to comment.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, contraction and retraction may still occur as part of the healing process

+1

Great name. Of course it can be nervous waiting to heal.

Unfortunately, the nose does exhibit considerable swelling during the early postoperative period and any judgements should really be deferred for several seeks if not months.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Often the best assessment is usually immediately at the conclusion of the operation when the swelling has yet to settle in.

Contraction and retraction may still occur.