Is Revision Rhinoplasty Necessary After Nose Got Hit?

I had Rhinoplasty, and hit myself in the nose 11 days after the surgery. Is it advisable to have an adjustment now?

It's too soon to consider a second Rhinoplasty.

+3

Dear SweetJane,

I see the slight indent on the right side, but your nose is so swollen, it's impossible to predict what will happen with or without a secondary procedure. I'd relax, take a deep breath, and wait for the rest of the swelling to settle down. Trying to accomplish anything in the OR right now would be very unpredictable and loaded with additional downtime.

If there you see a slight crooked appearance in the future, this is easily fixed with a permanent injectable filler (Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty) with topical anesthetic, and no downtime.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Web reference: http://ericmjoseph.com/index.cfm/Action/Gallery/GalleryID/17182/PageID/4141/ProcedureNameID/731

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Only if it is obviously crooked from injury

+1

Since it has only been 11 days after the surgery, it is probably not a good idea to have an additional revision rhinoplasty unless the nose is very crooked. If it is obviously crooked from the injury, it probably should be reset.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Rhinopasty probably not needed

+1

As long as there are no obvious deformities, it is highly unlikely that you will need any revision. It is always a good idea to follow up with your surgeon to make sure.

Not necessarily.

+1

See your surgeon and have him evaluate whether there has been movement of the nasal bones or septum with the trauma. He can advise whether you will need any more surgery.

Rhinoplasty; Hit in the Nose Eleven Days After Surgery

+1

Hi Sweet Jane,

Follow up with your rhinoplasty surgeon and let him/her know about your accident. If your nose looks straight, most likely nothing will need to be done. We like to have our patients tape their splint onto their nose at night and when home alone for the first few weeks after rhinoplasty to remind them to protect their new nose.

Good luck and be careful!

Damaging your nose after rhinplasty

+1

Dear Sweetjane,

Ouch! I'm sorry that you hit your nose. Certainly it would be easier to damage your nose this soon after rhinoplasty (less force would be needed to displace the bones). On the flip side - your nose is going to be much more tender 2 weeks after surgery, so that it might hurt like mad even if nothing moved. I suggest you visit the surgeon who operated on you, and let them look your nose over.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.drmichaelbogdan.com/plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.