Revision Rhinoplasty: If I Get my Tip Lowered Will It Widen It?

I had a rhinoplasty and feel that the tip is too narrow. It's not quite what I would call pinched, but my nostils look too big now. I was thinking about getting the tip lowered since it is slightly scooped now. Will this help to widen the tip if I do? Or would I still need cartilage to widen my tip?

If I Get my Tip Lowered Will It Widen It?

+2

Although it is hard to tell without seeing your pictures what you are describing is true. See the case in the link below for an example

Rhinoplasty

+1

Impossible to tell without photos, but consider another option. you could have the wide nostrils reduced with alar wedge rejections, which will narrow the nostrils and reduce the flare.  This is much less complicated than trying to use cartilage grafts to build up the nasal tip.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

Hi,

Difficult to make recommendations without seeing a picture. However, sounds like you may have had too much cartilage removed from the tip. You would need cartilage grafts to widen your tip. Also if your nose is scooped out, you may want to consider adding to your bridge not lowering your tip.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Pinched Tip

+1

Lowering the tip will not necessarily widen your tip.  Because this is a revision rhinoplasty, the surgery will depend on your underlying anatomical structure after your last surgery.  A proper evaluation is essential to determine what needs to be done.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the goals you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Will Lowering Tip Widen It?

+1

It sounds like you have multiple problems including a scooped nose, a narrow tip, and big nostrils. Depending on your needs and desires you can augment your bridge, decrease your tip projection, augment your tip, or change tip rotation. Send pictures or have one of us examine you. 

+1

You might want to discuss this with your prior Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  The nasal tip can be raised with Rhinoplasty but not lowered or more precisely, rotated downward.  A nasal tip that is over-projected can be lowered and these nuances are the reason Rhinoplasty candidates need to be seen in consultation or at the very least show details photos of the nose from side, front and base views for evaluation.  I operated on a model from Paris, years ago, that had 9 prior Rhinoplasties using the wrong terminology for what she wanted.  She really wanted a decreased nasal tip projection which I realized during a telephone consultation while viewing detailed photos of her nose.  

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Good pictures will help us give you a better answer. However, I would suggest see a revision rhinoplasty surgeons and discuss your case in person. You may need alar or nasal base reduction to achieve nasal harmony. The tip can be slightly widened if that is the problem. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The nasal tip can be revised if it is either too narrow or too high. As  far as the specifics as to what would be done surgically you would need to provide some photos for me to begin to evaluate the problem.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Revision rhinoplasty for the overdone nose.

+1

Revision rhinoplasty for the overdone nose can be done to correct the problems you are having.

You may need tip grafts to widen the tip but I would need to see you to give you a proper answer as I have done for 35 years of rhinoplasty revision.