Is Revision Rhinoplasty Always More Expensive? (Not W/ Original PS)

Is revision rhinoplasty always more expensive than primary rhinoplasty when going to a new PS? I understand that it would be more expensive if the revision rhinoplasty was to fix a bad nose job, but in my case there is nothing wrong with my primary rhinoplasty, I just want to thin my nostrils and tip a little more.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

No patient ever wants to consider having two surgeries on the nose.  As a surgeon, I always prepare patients for this possibility although it is a rare event in my practice.  There are some studies in the United States indicating that up to 15% of patients may require revision work. Avoid this by interviewing several surgeons before your procedure, communicate with honesty, and be certain that you select an expert.  Rhinoplasty is tricky enough that you have to perform these surgeries every week to maintain all of your surgical skills.

Revision work is more complicated, lengthy, and less reliable than primary (first time) work.  Generally, the surgeon will need to be much more experienced, particularly with your type of case for success. Cost cannot be openly quoted due to advertising medical laws, but you should definitely be expecting to pay more based on this complex case.

Prepare yourself with your old operative notes from any surgeries on your nose and before and after photos.  This will help you and your surgeon plan and communicate.   Revision cases are the most rewarding of all!

Thanks for the question,

Dr. Hobgood

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The cost of a revision rhinoplasty depends on the complexity and level of expertise needed to fix and achieve the results you seek.  Depending on what you are looking to do to the nose, it usually involves more scar tissue and additional grafting.  The best thing to do is to consult with a board certified specialist who can evaluate the inside and outside of your nose and show you through computer imaging what you may look like afterwards.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Costs for a revision rhinoplasty

+1

The cost for a revision rhinoplasty is usually more expensive than a primary rhinoplasty due to the difficult nature of revision rhinoplasty which includes, cartilage grafting techniques, and scar tissue. Revision rhinoplasty procedures usually take longer to perform than a primary rhinoplasty in many cases. A simple tip-plasty  or alar-plasty would not require a full revision fee, so it may be cheaper to perform those 2 procedures than the entire prior primary  rhinoplasty.

Is Revision Rhinoplasty Always More Expensive?

+1

The cost of the Revision Rhinoplasty, like a primary one, depends on the complexity of what needs to be done.  If it's difficult and more complicated because of scar tissue, over-resected nasal tissue or partially dissolved previous grafts then the cost will be higher.  

Cost of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Occasionally the revision may involve something minor such as just reducing the nostrils and the fee for that may be less than your original surgery. Most surgeons would consider this a "touch up" and you may consider returning to your original surgeon.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is revision rhinoplasty always more expensive?

+1

In general, revision rhinoplasty is more expensive due to the complexity of the procedure. However, if you are just having a touch up and are looking to further refine your nose, this may not be the case. An exam would really be necessary to provide you with the most accurate advice. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist, as they will be able to assess your nose in person and advise you on the next steps to take. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

Frequently a revision is more expensive than the original procedure when done by a different surgeon because it is necessary to reconstruct the nose. However, correction of the problem  you describe will probably cost significantly less than your primary rhinoplasty. I need to see you or pictures of your nose to estimate costs.

Revision Rhinoplasty Expense

+1

The answer is, "It depends".  Revision Rhinoplasties are usually more complicated due to the presence of scar tissue, diminished vascularity, absence of structural cartilage, and other unforeseen circumstances.  This is one procedure in which price shopping is ill advised.  If you are motivated to make further changes to your nose, please see an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon with the understanding that it is unlikely to be cheap.  Good Luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you want to reduce the size of the nostrils and thin the tip, this may not be more expensive.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA