Is It OK to Have Revision Rhinoplasty 5 Months Post-op? Would a Close Rhinoplasty Technique Be OK?

I've had revision rhinoplasty approximatly 5 months ago using irradiated ribs for bridge and tip. I've noticed that the the upper part of the bridge (radix area) has warped to one side thus causing a bump on that side and also a hump (on top of the bridge) is seen on the profile . The warping is obvious. Is it too early to have a revision? Also, would a close rhinoplasty technique to remove the warped cartilage effect the tip work that was done previously?

Closed approach to revision rhinoplasty

+2

I would recommend waiting atleast one year after your prior procedure before embarking on a revision.  If you are noticing changes at 5 months, you may continue to see changes in the coming months (good or bad).  A revision before stabilization of these changes can lead to very unsatisfactory results.  I favor the closed approach in this setting to minimize scarring and prolonged swelling, but should only be performed by a board-certified Plastic Surgeon who is very experienced in the closed approach. Best wishes!

Even though irregularites in the nose appear early after surgery its important to wait a year for revision

+2

I feel it's important to wait at least one year after surgery, especially revision rhinoplasty to consider any further revision. There are a number of reasons. Swelling takes a year of more to fully go down and it may camoflage any further irregularities. Scar tissue needs to soften to make raising the skin and separating tissue easier. Third, as things heal, asymmetries and warping may become or or less obvious as things change. I know its not fun waiting but I've seen much bigger disasters in patients who had revisions done too early.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

To early for another revision rhinoplasty

+1
At 5 months following revision rhinoplasty, you are probably too early to consider another revision rhinoplasty. There is still swelling present in the nose and the scar tissue is far from mature. Operating while there is swelling present is like trying to hit a moving target. Scar tissue can take a year or longer to mature and soften making it easier to handle and dissect during revision surgery. Operating too soon will only increase the difficulty of the surgery. Additionally, the nose will need more time to heal and settle so that you can see the final result and be able to adequately address all areas of concern in the next surgery. Patience is crucial after revision rhinoplasty surgery.  

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is best to refrain from performing any revisions until around one year following your initial surgery, unless there is no tip work involved. You are still swollen, and it takes time for the swelling to resolve which can interfere with a revision. It is difficult to tell if a closed technique would help improve the warping issue without seeing you in person and knowing more about the problem. An in-person exam with a qualified surgeon would be best. Look for good credentials such as:

1) Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
2) Fellowship training

Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage warped?

+1

At five months you are probably a bit swollen still and this  may make it difficult during a revision.  Give it some more time.  Good luck.

Warped rib

+1

Pictures would be helpful to better asses your case. If the only problem is the warped rib, and not an issue with swelling, then a closed rhinoplasty at this point may be an option if the rib implant can be reached in this fashion. Also, the surgeon doing the procedure would need to know what kind of grafting was done to the tip.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon