Revision Rhinoplasty. How Long Before I Can Consult Surgeons?

I had rhinoplasty 8 weeks ago and my surgeon has acknowledged that a revision is necessary. The columella is now too short and, as well as rigid flared nostrils, one of the alar cartilages is displaced and visible lying at the wrong angle along my nose. Should I wait the full 6 months before even consulting other surgeons for second opinions? Or would it be best to see someone sooner. I'm female, over 50, with thin skin so worried about visible scarring.

Timing of revision

+2

there is nothing wrong with getting a few consultations as early as 6 months post-op but ideally you should wait close to 1 year before doing revision surgery

Secondary rhinoplasty

+2

If you are several months out after your rhinoplasty and your surgeon feels that a revision is required you could certainly consult with another surgeon to get their input. I would stress that a consultation is different than a surgical revision. As far as timing for a revision  it really depends on the specifics as to what will be done. In general the longer one waits the more pliable the tissues and the more predictable the result, however many small "touch ups" certainly do not require an extensive waiting period post operatively.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

If you 8 weeks out from a rhinoplasty, waiting until at least a year is helpful when a revision rhinoplasty is performed as the scar tissue has had time to mature and the results can be a bit more predictable.  Minor corrections can sometimes be performed but this would be up to your current rhinoplasty surgeon and whether or not a minor intervention will interfere with healing of the remaining tissue.  Follow with your current surgeon for the next 6-9 months before considering revision rhinoplasty and additional consultations.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend waiting 6 months before consulting other surgeons( recommend at least 2 or 3 Board Certified Plastic Surgeons).  If the consensus is that you need a revision, this should be planned for at least 12 months after the first surgery.  During the consultation, it is a good idea to ask each surgeon about their "Revision Policy". 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait for revisions rhinoplasty

+1

I would agree with many of my colleagues here in stating that 1 year is a reasonable time to elapse before considering revision rhinoplasty.

When to consult surgeons for revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is very important not to undergo revision rhinoplasty for one year; any reputable rhinoplasty surgeon is going to tell you to wait. Continue your follow up care with the original rhinoplasty surgeon until you have fully healed then consult other surgeons about revision rhinoplasty.  

Time before Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I suggest you maintain contact with your surgeon over the next 6 months even if you do not plan on having him/her do your revision surgery. At that time I would start to consider options with your surgeon and schedule consultations with revision specialists.

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Really, you shoudl wait at least 6 months to a year before undergoing a revision. The tissues are suually too stiff to manipulate at 6 months let alone 8 weeks.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

In general, it is best to wait a full year before contemplating a revision rhinoplasty as that is how long it usually takes for swelling to resolve in the nose and a final result to be appreciated.  However, in your case with obvious, visible cartilage displacement and malpositioning, I would encourage you to seek the opinion of a qualified rhinoplasty surgeon now.  Your surgeon may perceive these findings to be indicative of a minor complication that he wishes to treat early rather than later and that may be an excellent approach for you.  These things can happen in the best of hands and the responsible surgeon is the one who wants to address such problems directly rather than convincing you they do not exist.  Without evaluating pre-op and post-op photos, it is not possible for me to comment on the findings you have described.  However, they certainly justify evaluation.

Jeff Weinzweig, MD

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Second opinion for a revision rhinoplasty

+1

For peace of mind, some patients find it worth seeing another surgeon even this early from surgery, but only to make sure nothing acute needs to be done. It's highly unlikely that anything should be done so shortly after a rhinoplasty, though.

If indeed a revision is indicated, the surgeon(s) one's considering to do the surgery will still need to re-evaluate a patient's nose when more healing has occurred (perhaps 6 months to a year out). Only then can a proper plan of attack be formulated.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon