Revision Rhinoplasty Infection 8 Days Post-Op: Worried?

I had a closed revision rhino with an ear graft on 1/29/13 to fix an inverted 'V' deformity and define my nasal tip. The surgery went well, the doctor is highly skilled, and I followed every pre-and-post-op instruction, including taking the 3 antibiotic pills. The cast was removed today and an infection was located in the upper tip of my nostril, looking pussy and sore-like. I am on Amox and doing alcohol/polysporin cleanses... but can this infection be fatal and/or damage the final results??

Infection after rhinoplasty

+3

This is rare, but not fatal. The antibiotics should work in a day or two to bring the infection under control. If it does not get better in a two days, another antibiotic should be added. If the infection is treated quickly, he result should not be entirely compromised.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty Infection

+2

Fortunately, this type of complication following rhinoplasty is rarely fatal. However, it can detract from the final results in some cases. Make sure you follow your rhinoplasty surgeon's recommendations so that this can get resolved as soon as possible. Wishing you luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon