Should I Go for Revision Rhinoplasty Because of Hanging Columella?

I had a Rhinoplasty operation 2 years ago and was quite happy with the results at the time, but since then I have grown increasingly unhappy with the tip. I think it looks quite bulbous due to hanging columella. What is your opinion? And if necessary, how easy would it be to correct? (I can't upload my image as it's a pdf - I could email it to you if you respond? Thanks!)

Hanging columella: a good reason for revisional surgery

+2

I just think a hanging columella is a hallmark of bad rhinoplasty.  I do not like the way they look on their own and I especially do not like what they do for a person's overall look.  I think they need to be fixed, but every situation is different.  Send photos and operative note if you can.  Every situation is different and needs to be evaluated as such.

Fixing a hanging columella through revision rhinoplasty

+2

The columella (portion of the nose between the nostrils) can appear to be "hanging" for a multitude of reasons. It is important to address this issue with a revision rhinoplasty specialist, in order to diagnose the cause of your issue and address it appropriately. In some cases this can be as straightforward as a slight shave of the underlying medial crura of the lower lateral cartilages. More frequently, I address this issue by straightening the columella with a nice, straight piece of cartilage taken from the septum, what is called a columellar strut. In other cases, the infratip (area below the tip) is overrotated, in which case additional maneuvers or cartilage grafts to recreate a normal tip/infratip relationship may be needed. As others have mentioned, retraction of your nostrils can accentuate the problem. With photos, I would be able to analyze your situation further but hopefully this is helpful.

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella can be an unsightly deformity

+2

See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area and have them examine your nose.  If the problem is simply a hanging columella there are many procedures to improve this.  However, an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon my uncover other problems that need to be addressed.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella can be improved

+2

Increase in nostril show can be the result of a hanging columella and/or alar retraction and many times a combination of both. The good news is that it can be corrected with revision surgery.

Sam Naficy, MD

Revision rhinoplasty for nasal tip and hanging columella

+2

In situations like this, it is best to consult with a revision specialist. Bring along your pre and post-op photos and operative reports. Hopefully, your surgeon can help visualize what is bothering you about your current nasal form (and perhaps confirm what you've said). Things are usually a bit more complicated than they seem, and an experienced surgeon can help determine what revision (if any) would be right for you.

Hope this helps.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella after rhinoplasty

+1
Hanging columella after rhinoplasty can be corrected through a revision procedure and usually is not too complicated or expensive to perform.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Hanging Columella

+1
A rhinoplasty procedure intended to correct a hanging columella is relatively easy and popular. The surgery is minimally invasive and requires a small incision to be made on the inside of the nose, during which time the patient remains under anesthesia and is generally unaware of pain and his/her surroundings. A nose job for a hanging columella can have profound effects that no other means can attain, reducing the visibility of the nostrils and making your appearance more balanced. If you do indeed decide to go forward with rhinoplasty to reshape your hanging columella, I recommend that you consult a surgeon with adequate experience and with whom you feel comfortable.

Sam Rizk, MD

revision rhinoplasty for hanging columella

+1
 The hanging columella is addressed with a columellar-plasty.   To perform a columellar-plasty, skin and caudal septal cartilage are trimmed back and the new columella is sewn inwards and upwards. It is important not to over rotate the tip. For many examples please see the link below to our columellar-plasty photo gallery

+1
It seems as though this has been on your mind for quite some time.  Since it bothers you, then yes, get it evaluated for a complete diagnosis and if it is an isolated hanging columella it can be addressed in a very straightforward manner.  Best wishes.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Most swelling should subside after 12 months, therefore if you are still unhappy with the final outcome I would recommend consulting with your Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon to contemplate a Revision Rhinoplasty.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon