Revision Rhinoplasty with Grafting: Will my Surgeon Charge a Ton of Money if Its His Own Mistakes?

I had a rhinoplasty two years ago. Although my doctor was lauded as the best surgeon in the area, I feel unhappy with the results. He has left me with a pointy tip, retracted nostrils, and a largely increased nasolabial angle. I realize that these problems would require grafting to correct, which can be very expensive and cannot necessarily afford. If I return to him for the revision, will he charge me a ton of money even though it was his mistake?? Thank you.

Charge for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Each surgeon will have her own policy regarding this.  Have you been following up regularly with your surgeon?  Commonly surgeons will dictate a certain amount of time after surgery up to which a revision may be performed with no surgeon fee.  Based on the description of your nose your revision will be a significant one.  Touch base with your surgeon and share your concerns with him.  

Do Surgeons Charge for Revision Rhinoplasty on Their Own Mistakes?

+1

Each surgeon has a different approach to this, but most agree that returning to the original surgeon is best, since they know exactly what was done at the first surgery.  I subscribe to what my mentors always preached- if there is truly an untoward/unexpected outcome that is fairly obvious and clearly deviates from the expected results, then the revision surgeon's fee should be waived (BUT, there would be a charge for the anesthesia and facility).  This would apply only to surgeries performed by that original surgeon, not a different surgeon.  So going to a new surgeon usually costs more.  Most, if not all, rhinoplasty surgeons explain before surgery that there is a chance that revision procedures are necessary, EVEN IF the surgery goes as planned without any intraoperative complication.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best to return to original surgeon

+1

In general it is always best to go to your original surgeon for revision surgeon for revision surgery unless you feel that he/she may not be adequately experienced in revision rhinoplasty or lacks advanced grafting skills (i.e. rib cartilage).  Most good surgeons take pride in their work and want to improve their less than ideal results

Sam Naficy, MD

Revision rhinoplasty and same surgeon

+1

I think it is a good idea to see your surgeon if you have faith in him. Rhinoplasty revision rates are about 5-15% and sometimes higher.  Discuss the fees with him, it most likely will be less with the same surgeon.

Do Surgeons Charge a Ton of Money to Revise Surgery?

+1

Do Surgeons Charge a Ton of Money to Revise Surgery? This is a great question. The answer depends upon the surgeon. In many cases, the answer is spelled out in the consent form or financial documents you signed at the time of surgery. If that was two years ago you might not have them any longer. Some surgeons will not charge for revisions of their own work. However, there is typically an anesthesia and facility charge that might total anywhere from $1000-2500. The best approach would be to ask your surgeon what his or her policy is and go from there. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon