Is Revision Rhinoplasty Possible for Me? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 2,5 years ago to remove the hump on my nose. The surgean did an overly aggressive operation so now I am left with a too concave nose and as you can see on the photos, I have depressions next to my nasal bones. I also have some breathing problems and my nose often gets blocked during the night and I wake up with a dry mouth. I am really depressed and would like to do a revision rhinoplasty. All I want is a natural-looking nose that fits my face. Is it possible to fix this?

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

I agree that you had over resection of both the nasal cartilages and bone, and with lack of support, this is probably the reason for your nasal obstruction.  Grafting both to increase support in the middle portion of your nose will correct the inverted V deformity, and improve your breathing (spreader grafts).  Your profile will need correction with grafting, and may very well require a rib graft, although it is possible there would be adequate cartilage from the ear and nasal septum.  You also have a supratip deformity with excess fullness.  It is important that some one experienced in revision rhinoplasty perform this surgery.  It is all fixable, but will be more involved than the first operation.

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

There is an inverted V deformity, narrow upper lateral cartilages and wide nasal bones.  Multiple cartilage grafts and osteotomies will be necessary to give this nose a natural appearance.  Examination of the internal portion of the nose for valve collapse and a deviated septum is done at the time of the consultation. Best to seek out a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon

Is Revision Rhinoplasty Possible

+2

As you correctly described you have a concave profile and also what we call an "inverted V" deformity, both causing your breathing obstruction. The appearance and function of your nose can be corrected with cartilage grafts. See a surgeon who specializes in revision rhinoplasty; unfortunately this is a problem that we have to treat after a patient has had aggressive reduction of their nose. 

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

This is very fixable, both aesthetically and functionally. You need to see a surgeon with revision experience who is versatile in a lot of revision techniques. Ask to see photos of revision patients with problems similar to yours. Get more then one opinion if needed until you are comfortable that the the surgeon has the skill and experience to execute your goals. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aggressive Resection and Breathing Problems

+1

You will need an external and internal exam, before I could come to any conclusions about your functional issues.  You may need spreader grafts for internal nasal valve collapse, and you will need cartilage grafting to the dorsum as well as osteotomies. 

From the photos posted, your nose can be improved

+1

You have a number of the more common findings that lead to revision rhinoplasty. You have what is called and "inverted-V" deformity and a low dorsum (bridge). Improving the way your nose looks will also improve your breathing. This follows the architectural dictum "form follows function." You should see a revision rhinoplasty specialist to discuss more specifics about what will work for you.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD