Are There Complications in Adding Extra Medpor Material to Nose Tip?

Dear Doctors, I was wondering if there are complications or problems with doing a revision tip rhinoplasty using extra medpor material even if you already have a medpor strut engrafted at the tip of your nose from a previous rhinoplasty surgery? Thanks.

Medpor not recommended for nose

+1

We do not recommend any synthetic implant whatsoever in the nasal tip, especially medpor.  It is always recommended that the best implant material for the tip is the patient’s own natural cartilage either from the nose or from the ear.  There is a high infection rate with Medipore implants placed in the nasal tip.  

Risk of Medpor in Nasal Tip Revision

+1

I never recommend the use of Medpor in thenasal tip, especially in revision surgery. The patient's own cartilage or fascia is safer and the results more predictable.

Medpore for revision tip grafting

+1

Medpore is an artificial material that is prone to infection and extrusion, especially when placed into a scarred bed.  For minor adjustment consider a filler material that can be injected, such as restylane, but be wary of increased infection risk due to the presence of previously placed medpore.  For a major revision find a plastic surgeron with a lot of revision rhinoplasty experience and consider removal of the medpore and replacement with a biologic such as your own cartilage.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Medpor for the nose

+1

I am not a big fan of alloplastic implants ( i.e. medpor) for the nose. I worry about infection and extrusion through the skin.  There are usually better things to use to augment or define the nasal tip.

+1

Medpoe, IMHO, is not good tip grafting material and for over 20 years of performing Revision Rhinoplasty and Rhinoplasty I prefer to use ear cartilage.

Complications with Medpor

+1

Hi,

You can have complications regardless of using medpor. However, in my opinion using medpor in areas of think skin such as the nasal tip can create problems such as necrosis of skin and/or extrusion. Consider other options for a tip implant.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS