Revision Rhinoplasty to Fix Alar Base Reduction, Unhappy. How to Fix Asymmetry? (photo)

2 years ago, I had a tip-plasty and right alar base reduction done. I am satisfied with the tip but I am quite disappointed with the results of the ABR. The shape of my right nostril now looks more angular and less natural looking and the size appears more compacted and elevated than my left. There is also visible scarring (indentation) where the incision was made. Can a revision rhinoplasty make the right side of my nose look more closely like my left and also provide a natural result?

Revision of Alar Base Reduction

+1

It would be very difficult to revise the right nostril base using the left as a template. Consider reducing the flair of the left ala to improve symmetry. I would have to see you to determine if the scar on the right can be improved.

Scar revisions on alarplasty can be tricky

+1

From looking at the photos, I can see what you are tlaking about. The scar is visible but barely and likely only to you and the trained eye (nose doctor). Any scar revsion on alarplaty scars tend to make the nostrils narrower. Without a personal exam, from just the photos, I think it looks fine and you should leave it alone.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Revise nostrils

+1

I wouldn't do it I think your result is excellent and the  symmetry is superlative. The two sides of the face are brothers not twins. 

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Alar base reduction

+1

I have to agree with the others

While there is some small asymmetry if you were to come into my office I would not recommend a revision

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction

+1

It would have been helpful to see your pre-op photos, but in general the right alar looks oK and a revision is very difficult to perform. A scar revison is possible to scar perhaps to improve it. I probably would not offer to do anything.  An exam in person would be helpful.

Revision Rhinoplasty to Fix Alar Base Reduction

+1

Since there is facial asymmetry in every individual, there is always some asymmetry of the alar positioning. If you look carefully at your before pictures taken by your surgeon, you will notice this discrepancy. After alar reduction ( which is Not the same as Nasal Base Reduction ), there is always some minor asymmetries. From your pictures one can see this asymmetry but is very minor and not sure if existed preoperatively. Revision may or may not make you happy since it would be difficult to insure there is perfect symmetry. Alar Repositioning Technique will result in scar free result but cannot promise absolute symmetry.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon