How Soon After Rhinoplasty Can I Get a Revision?

I previously had a rhinoplasty and it left my with an overprojected tip and a severely scooped out nose. I am about 4 months post-op and I dont see my nose improving. I know people say "wait you will like I later" but I hate it. I knew since day1 that it would look bad. I would like to know when is the soonest I can get it done and a good doctor that is specialist in revision, exspecially one that works with scooped out and saddle noses. My maximum price is 14,000. Thank you kind doctors.

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Without knowing what you looked like before, what you look like now, exactly what was done and what needs to be done it is impossible to say if you are ready for revision surgery or should wait longer. Now is certainly the time to broach the subject with your surgeon or see other surgeons if you wish. If you do see other surgeons be sure to bring copies of your before photos and operative report so the consulting physician can make an educated recommendation. With the limited information in your post it is impossible to say if  too much cartilage was removed at the previous surgery or if you only need removal of some additional cartilage at the protruding section.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Unhappy with rhinoplasty results at 4 months

+1

Photos would be helpful to better your situation. Regardless, it is generally recommended to wait around 9 months to a year before considering revision surgery. It sounds like your situation may be amenable to correcting actually at earlier than 9 (7 or 8?) months if most all of the swelling has abated. This will be better determined after you see a rhinoplasty surgeon in consultation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

How long to wait after rhinoplasty for a revision

+1

Depends on what you don't like.  Bony abnormalities that are visible after 6 months can be addressed then.  Soft tissue abnormalities are best addressed after one year. 

Philip Miller, MD

Revision after rhinoplasty

+1

The time to have a revision rhinoplasty is when swelling and scarring have reached a plateau.  When the nose is not changing anymore it is time to assess the results and reasonable to proceed with revision.

Subtle issues should not be addresses for a year.  Major problems such as saddle nose deformity or gross anatomic defects can be repaired after 4 months if swelling and scarring are stable.

It sounds as though you have had an unpleasant exerience and now have a significant aesthetic issue.  When choosing a surgeon be sure that he/she has had a LOT of experience with complex revision rhinoplasty. Ask to see a portfolio of his/her work, especially corrective procedures performed on patients with defects such as yours.  Get a few opinions and DO NOT shop on price.  Once you start down the road of revision surgery LESS IS MORE.

Sorry for your difficulty.  If you send photos I can offer a more studied opinion.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

The timing of revision rhinoplasty will depend on how much swelling is present in your nose.

+1

I read your concern: The soonest I've performed revision rhinoplasty is 6 mos. post-op, but most experts would agree it might be best to wait a year. Surgeons may proceed sooner than a year is if your swelling is minimal, and if your surgeon is convinced he could improve your appearance.

You may want to re-submit your question to the RealSelf community of experts with a photo. In many patients with an over-resected bridge that could cause the tip to look overprojected, a non-surgical rhinoplasty procedure to add volume may be an appropriate alternative to revision surgery. I prefer to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision How Soon after Rhinoplasty?

+1

In over 35  years I have revised noses like yours anywhere between 9-12 months after the primary. As revision rhinoplasty surgeons we typically say that a patient should wait one year, but this will vary depending on what was done during the the first operation and how much swelling is present when the nose is evaluated.

How soon can I get my nose revised ?

+1

Four months is OK for revision, depending on what is being revised.  If you present to a different surgeon than the original, bring photos of your nose taken before the primary rhinoplasty.  If there is ANY possibility that your current problem will resolve as swelling subsides, it is best to wait.

Steve Laverson, MD

How long to wait for revision?

+1

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your result. The main reason for waiting as long as possible is to allow for complete healing so that proper correction can be performed. For example in your case you are concerned about your bridge being to scooped. That means it will need to be augmented. If you do it now you likely will end up under corrected because the nose will continue to settle and you will be adding to reach an incorrect height. Waiting also helps you process and refine your goals and expectations. This is not something you want to take lightly or keep having to repeat. I would advise waiting 9-12 months in order to allow complete healing. I can't speak for LA but most revisions that don't require major reconstruction (rib grafts etc) in my area can usually be done for 9-12,000. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

Hello Yama,

I am sorry that you are not happy with your result.  Waiting for a revision surgery is not so much to see if you will like it (or be convinced it is fine), but to get to a point where the surgeon will be able to assess the shape of the nose and devise a surgical plan to change the shape.  Depending on the situation, revision surgery can be performed as early as 5 or 6 months.

Based on your issue, you will need augmentation of your bridge, along with revision of the tip. Depending on the amount of augmentation needed, you will require grafting of cartilage to the bridge from either the septum, the ear, or a rib.  Rhinoplasty is the most technically challenging surgery to perform, and revision rhinoplasty is even more so.  Be sure that you choose a surgeon who is experienced in revision rhinoplasty and can show you photos.  Needless to say, a minimum but necessary requirement should be certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty, for well over 20 years and IMHO the minimal time between Rhinoplasties must be 6 months.  At 4 months, if you are not satisfied with the results and do not wish to return to the original Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you may want to have some consultations with experienced, qualified Rhinoplasty Surgeons for evaluation and recommendations regarding Revision Rhinoplasty.  This way, you'll be all set to proceed with the shortest waiting period should you decide to move forward with the revision surgery.  Hope this helps.