Can a revision Rhinoplasty be covered by health insurance if you have trouble breathing from a botched surgery?

I had a previous rhinoplasty to fix a hole in my septum. A then noticed a few months later that I have trouble breathing out of my left nostril, as well as nose being crooked. Would this be considered a breathing problem that health insurance would cover?

Insurance usually will help with functional issues.

+1
Your breathing was worsened by an attempt to repair a functional issue. Your insurance should have assisted with that and should assist with any functional nasal surgery. Your  doctors office will be able to determine if you will be covered for the procedure.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty breathing after septal perforation repair

+1
Rearranging the tissues within the nose to close a septal perforation can sometimes change the appearance of the nose and cause intranasal webbing or scarring the impairs breathing.  Repairing this to improve breathing is often covered by insurance.  

William D. Losquadro, MD
Westchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Insurance Coverage

+1
Hi,

If your nasal  issues are functional, like deviated septum, nasal valve collapse, septal perforation or other.. insurance may cover some of the cost. Every plan is different and would have to be checked prior to the procedure.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Insurance Coverage for Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
Most insurance companies will contribute to the cost of surgery to improve nasal breathing. My staff will help my patients determine if they are eligible for insurance benefits. I must say that it is possible that your surgery was not botched - closure of a septal perforation is a difficult procedure.

To correct breathing, maybe. To correct shape, no.

+1
To fix a hole in your septum is not rhinoplasty. You may have had rhinoplasty including an attempt to close a hole in your septum, which is not all that easy to do. A lot will depend on your anatomy. Therefore, a thorough exam by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, like myself, is needed to determine exactly what the problems are. If you have septal deviation or nasal valve collapse, this may be covered by insurance, depending on the insurance coverage you have. The revision rhinoplasty will not be covered and a good rhinoplasty surgeon will not try to sneak it in with the operation to improve your breathing. Good luck!

Tae Ho Kim, MD