Would You Recommend Revision Rhinoplasty to Correct Uneven Nostrils?

I had a Rhinoplasty more than a year ago to reduce the size of my nostrils. My nostrils were already uneven before, but it becomes much more apparent after the surgery.

My left nostril is positioned lower, longer and more narrow. They are also of a different shape. I like my left nostril more. Is it possible to make the right look like the left?

Uneven nostrils and secondary or revision rhinoplasty (nose job touch up)

+2

It does appear that one nostril is more displaced to the outside than the other, This may require a sill resection and alar base advancement in contrast an actual nostril reduction. This will move the nostril inwards as opposed to making it smaller.

You must realize that it may be impossible to make them perfectly even and a more reasonable goal is to make them less uneven. All surgery carries risk and you shoudl discuss this with your surgeon.

Nostril revision

+2

I can't tell from the angle of the photo but I can see that you do have very thick nasal skin.  You admit that you were asymmetric before surgery and therefore, I think you should probably see 2-3 other surgeons and ask if this can be improved.  It may well be that the best plan is to do nothing.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Revision rhinoplasty to correct uneven nostrils

+1

In most cases, asymmetrical nostrils can be improved and made more symmetrical. In your case, I would have to see additional views, including a base view of the under-surface of your nose to better assess the status of your nostrils. It is not always possible to make asymmetrical nostrils completely even. Nevertheless, an improvement is certainly feasible in many cases.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

While there is some asymmetry between the two sides it is difficult if not impossible to determine what would be appropriate from the photograph you provided. A more helpful view would be what is referred to as a bird's eye view, i.e. with your chin up, head tilted bask.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty for nostril asymmetry can be done

+1

Yes, there is a mild difference in the shape of the lower lateral cartillage, and thus the nostril.

It can be revised. You need to sit with your PS and image the nose and modify the nostrils on the computer and see what changes occur and what you like.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to make your nostrils more symmetrical. Cartilage harvested from the ear may be used to lower your nostrils. It is possible to reshape them as well. But you can't make them perfect. Composite grafts or other procedures may be necessary. I would really need to see photos to give you the best advice. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nostril asymmetry

+1

Asymmetry of the nostrils is very common. Without seeing a worm's eye view( from below) it is difficult to assess your asymmetry. Height position is difficult to almost impossible to change. 

Uneven nostrils may be improved with a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty.

+1

Your photo seems to show that there is a higher nostril arch on your left as compared to your right. This is opposite what you describe.

You could have the height of your left nostril lowered with an Injectable Filler treatment, and this could restore nostril symmetry. Lowering retracted nostrils is one of the common conditions I treat.

I've attached a link to my Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty photos for your perusal.

Happy New Year.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal asymmetry often persists despite rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to make recommendations about revision rhinoplasty without multiple views and in the case of asymmetry, original photos. I suggest you seek a revision rhinoplasty specialist to decide if you should have further surgery. It would be helpful to have photos from before the first surgery and an operative report to facilitate the consultation.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD