Revision Rhinoplasty for Too Low Columellar Strut?

I had open Rhinoplasty 7 weeks ago and I am concerned about the columellar strut. I can feel the distinct ridge of the strut extending far into my upper lip. Also, when I try to smile, the strut ridge becomes visible and a fold forms under the base of the strut. I feel that the strut extends too far into the upper lip area (far beyond the columellar base). Will this get better with time? Does this commonly happen? If I require revision, can this be done in the office under local anesthesia?

Don't do anything too quickly.

+3

While it's possible that the strut extends too far, it is indeed too early in the post-op period to make any final judgments.

Even if a strut is too long, it's usually best to let the wound mature (heal) some more before shortening the graft. This avoids further aggravating an already inflamed area, but it also allows some of the structural support to "set," so to speak. If necessary--let's say after 3 to 6 months--a columellar strut can often be shortened or modified through a sublabial incision (under the lip) or even through a tiny stab incision at the columellar base.

Good luck,

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

The columellar strut in rhinoplasty

+2
The stiffness of your tip and prominence of the columellar strut should soften with time. If the folding of your lip does not improve over the next several months, revision surgery would be appropriate. If the columellar strut is too long, it can be shortened pretty easily under local anesthesia. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon to determine if in her/his opinion, shortening the columella would be a worthwhile endeavor. 

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columellar struts will soften with time

+1

Struts commonly start out firm and immobile and can restrict movement of the nose and upper lip.  This will soften greatly with time as well as the fact th a portion of the strut will resorb over time.

Sam Naficy, MD

Columellar Strut in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Although we always tell people to wait several months, what you're describing seems like it would be obvious. I'm not suggesting you go out and have something done immediately, but please discuss your findings with your surgeon. If a revision is necessary, it sounds like this could be done with minimal local anesthesia.

Post op open Rhinoplasty

+1

Some important points:

1) It's too early to tell anything.

2) It's not what the nose feels like, it's what it looks like.

3) It's difficult, if not impossible, to acess the situation without knowing what was done and a clinical evaluation which is best done months after the surgery.

4) Some individuals swell tremendously while others exhibit minimal swelling, the same for the resolution of the swelling.

Jay M. Pensler, MD