Can Asian Nose Still Improve with Revision Rhinoplasty?

I'm Asian and I have a flat, wide and thick skinned nose. I had rhinoplasty about 10 years ago but I still feel that my nose is still wide (especially when I smile) and low. I want a more balanced, feminine and defined nose. Is this the best it can get, or can it still improve with Revision Rhinoplasty?

For a nose with a low bridge, adding to the bridge actually makes it look narrower

+2

This is a common finding in Asian rhinoplasty. The nasal bones are short, so attempting to narrow them further will not do much. Raising the profile with an implant will make the nose appear narrower by creating more separation between your eyes. Width in smiling as well as tip shape needs to be evaluated in person to determine the strength of the underlying structure. Like the bridge, adding strength to the tip with grafts can make it actually appear smaller.

Revision of Asian Nose

+1

Adding  implants to your profile and tip will improve the projection and definition of your nose. We usually use the individual's own tissue. Your complaints about nasal appearance are typical of many Asian patients, whether or not they are seeking a revision procedure. This will also make your nose look narrower.

Augmentation Rhinoplasty

+1

As stated below adding a cartilage graft to the bridge of the nose as well as the tip of the nose can make it appear less wide and more refined. Cartilage grafts will likely be taken from the ear or ribs since the septum is often inadequate in Asian noses.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Further improvement in Asian nose is possible

+1

In addition to revision tip work to refine the tip, further narrow appearance can be acheived by improving your flat dorsal profile with a dorsal onlay graft.  Choices for grafts range from autologous cartilage grafts (ie rib, septal, ear cartilages), cadaveric rib cartilage grafts, or synthetic implants (ie. Silastic, Goretex).

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

There is much room for improving your nose with a rhinoplasty.

You probably need a rib cartillage graft, refine the tip and if the skin is very thick then a cartillage graft to the tip will define the tip and improve on your nostrils as well.

Asian revision rhinoplasty

+1

As Dr. Pearlman stated adding height to the bridge as well as the tip of the nose can make it appear thinner and less wide. Grafts will likely be taken from the ear or ribs due to inadequate septal cartilage. It is essential in preparing for the surgery that the surgeon know the details of the previous procedure. It may be that silicone was used; a common procedure in Asia.

Rhinoplasty in Asian nose

+1

A wide flat nose can be treated by placing a dorsal onlay graft which will make the nose appear narrower and at the same time raise the profile.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Revision rhinoplasty can enhance nasal features from a previous rhinoplasty. However, it takes more than a picture to evaluate your nose. A surgeon should really examine and palpate ( touch) your nose before giving you a definate answer. The website below will give you some examples of ehtnic rhinoplasties.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS