Revision Rhinoplasty and Singing?

I had a rhinoplasty and hated the result. My dorsum bridge seems too low to my face, and also wider (the surgeon replaced the bones after removing the bump but it did not look narrow how it use to be) I still have septum cartilage, and I want to rebuild my bridge with grafts, but I'm an opera singer, and I'm afraid of what changes this second surgery can make to my voice (the first didn't affect). Also, can a septum graft bridge has a natural look? Is too risky to my voice to have 2ª surgery?

Revision rhinoplasty and singing?

+1

Sorry to hear you were not happy with the result of your initial rhinoplasty. When your rhinoplasty is performed properly, it should not have an impact on your voice. If anything, it would help your singing. If there is an issue with your septum, opening the airway can help get more airflow, thus improving your ability to sing. Using your own natural cartilage and tissue to build the nasal dorsum is ideal, and will result in the most natural appearance.  It can be carved to create a natural appearing dorsum.  If you have thin skin, I wrapped the cartilage in temporalis fascia to prevent the graft from becoming visible as the swelling subsides. If your only concern with a revision is how it may affect your voice, I would not worry. How long ago was your primary rhinoplasty? It is best to wait at least a year before considering a revision. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty and Singing?

+1

Rebuilding the dorsum should not have any effect on voice or nasality of tone.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty and singing

+1

Performing a revision rhinoplasty should not affect the professional voice since it did not affect it with the primary rhinoplasty. Cartilage grafts harvested from the septum are the best source of material to rebuild the bridge higher and feel very natural. Please see the link below for patient's we have built up their nasal bridge in our practice.   

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to predict the changes from surgery without knowing what the specific plan is in your case. As a general rule the probability  of a significant change in voice after surgery would be very small.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Rhinoplasty and singing

+1

I'm so sorry that you had a bad first experience with your surgery.  Septal cartilage grafts are used frequently for restoring dorsal height and can look natural if done properly and if used in the right patient.  If the first surgery didn't affect your singing voice then it is unlikely the second one will as the resonance characteristics of the nasal chamber should remain fairly consistent.  Talking with your plastic surgeon about your concerns would be most helpful.  Good Luck.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon