Can I Have Revision Rhinoplasty After 9 Months?

The Chief of the Nose Group of the University of São Paulo School of Medicine which is the biggest medical school in South America is telling me that I am ok to under go a revision rhinoplasty. He has a great reputation and owns the largest clinic in SP along with his brother and father who do the same thing. Many of their surgeries are referrals from previous doctors who have had complications with their rhinoplasties. Should I be ok? What happens if my nose is not ready and they perform surgery?

9 vs 12 months

+1

It really depends on the condition of your skin and tissues as well the surgical plan.  Most revision are best done after a year but some can be performed as early as 6 months - when it is evident that the condition will not improve AND unlikely that it will change much with time

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Revision Rhinoplasty after 9 Months

+1

Although we frequently suggest waiting a year after the original surgery to have a revision rhinoplasty, this recommendation is not absolute; it does depend on what was done and what needs to be revised.  I don't know the surgeon you're talking about, but I suggest you follow his recommendations because he sounds very experienced.

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The standard answer for timing of revision Rhinoplasty is 1 year.  Although this is not absolute, the rationale behind is that it takes at least a year for the result from Rhinoplasty to unfold.  As Dr. Aldea eloquently put it, there is absolutely no reason to rush.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time for revision rhinoplasty

+1

As far as the exact timing for rhinoplasty revision it depends on the nature of the initial surgery the recovery of the patient and what the revision entails. A minor revision could be undertaken sooner than a major revision typically.

You may be a candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty 6-12 months after your original surgery.

+1

I read your concern. If your surgeon is a rhinoplasty specialist, and if you have a situation that requires surgical intervention, your surgeon may advise proceeding 9 months after your original surgery.

Revision rhinoplasty surgery is the most challenging operation in the arena of facial plastic surgery. In that regard, I cannot predict your satisfaction or your outcome after your procedure. Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon wisely.

All the best from NJ.

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

One year is the magic number that people talk about.  Some patients tissues may be supple enough a bit earlier to go ahead with a revision.

How SOON can I have my Cosmetic Surgery Revision - Learn from Dr. Gillies

+1

Regarding: "Can I Have Revision Rhinoplasty After 9 Months?
The Chief of the Nose Group of the University of São Paulo School of Medicine which is the biggest medical school in South America is telling me that I am ok to under go a revision rhinoplasty. He has a great reputation and owns the largest clinic in SP along with his brother and father who do the same thing. Many of their surgeries are referrals from previous doctors who have had complications with their rhinoplasties. Should I be ok? What happens if my nose is not ready and they perform surgery
?"

With all due respect, he may be right and he may be wrong. Although the tissue swelling may have satisfactorily resolved allowing a clean separation of the tissues and visualization of proper tissue relationships and thickness, there is a small chance that this may not be the case.

The vast majority of Rhinoplasty operations and Cosmetic Surgery procedures cannot be rightly considered as either Emergent or Urgent operations (that HAVE to be carried as soon as possible under threat of loss of life, limb or function). The BEST thing a Plastic surgeon can do for his patient is RESIST the urge to jump in and operate for as long as possible. (This was nicely stated by the Founder of Modern Plastic Surgery Sir Harold Gillies who taught his trainees :"Never do today what can be honourably be put off till tomorrow. . . when in doubt, don’t! . . . It is well to remember that Time, although the plastic surgeons most trenchant critic, is also his greatest ally." . A total reversal of an old Thomas Jefferson quote). (To read more about this GIANT of plastic surgeons follow the link below - great reading. If you THINK your nose is bad, see what Dr. Gillies faced in the age BEFORE antibiotics, modern anesthesia CT/MRI scans and the results he produced)

Personally, I would wait a full year.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea