Revision Rhinoplasty- Open Rhinoplasty with rib cartligde to augment my tip.

i may have asked this before. but i have had several augmentation rhinoplasty procedures. atm i have a medpor shell implant. and a strut taken form the ear. im going to get my next procedure which will be my very first open rhino with rib cartligde to augment my tip. i would like to know if rib cartlidge makes a good strut and also if i can have a radix implant placed as my nose is still to "low". i had a septal graft but it shrunk. i really like the look of the radix implant

Using rib cartilage for revision rhinoplasty

+2

Yes, rib cartilage provides great material for a cartilagenous strut and radix graft. They are very versatile and can be carved into inumerable grafts for rhinoplasty.

Revision Rhinoplasty with Rib Cartilage

+2

I like to use diced rib cartilage for the dorsum and radix. The rib carilage can also be used for tip augmentation.

Rib Cartilage is Strong and Durable

+2

The rib cartilage is a powerful resource for nasal reconstruction:

• it can be shaped to be placed almost anywhere in the nasal framework
  • it is an abundant material: though harvesting requires a scar on the chest, there is a lot of high quality graft material that can be retrieved
  • the rib cartilage is strong
  • the rib cartilage "takes well" and is durable

It is worth considering using the rib cartilage to augment the radix, and support the dorsum and the tip.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rib in radix

+2

Rib grafts can be used anywhere on the nose - they make especially good grafts for the dorsum and radix

Sam Naficy, MD