Is getting a revision procedure 3 to 4 weeks before I'm "allowed" to have the procedure, bad?

i mean. can those 3 to 4 weeks really matter. my doctor is away at the moment and really need to know sooner. thanks. ps the procedure is a columella strut.

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty to Place Columellar Strut

+2

You are "allowed" to have a columellar strut placed when it is appropriate - when you read about the the correct time to have revision surgery, these are just estimates. 

Revision Rhinoplasty Timing

+1

The general recommendation that a year pass before primary and secondary Rhinoplasty is to allow appropriate decrease in inflammation and allow for more predictable results.  That having been said, a Rhinoplasty at 11 months is most likely acceptable.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty- how long to wait?

+1

There are no absolute time limits regarding revision rhinoplasty- the most appropriate time is when proper healing has occurred and tissues have softened up.  There are exceptions to this: i.e., sometimes a revision has to be done because someone may injure their nose causing it to be crooked and they don't want to wait a year to correct.  Most cases however the more you wait the better: the surgeon will have less scarring to deal with.

Ramtin Kassir, MD, NY/NJ Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Timing for revision rhinoplasty

+1

A few weeks difference doesn't normally matter; the main thing is that your surgeon thinks you're ready. We usually suggest waiting a year before having reivision rhinoplasty, but going ahead with surgery a month or so early wouldn't generally be a problem.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Timing of revision

+1

A few weeks should not make a difference - obviously you need the blessing of your surgeon before following other recommendations

Sam Naficy, MD

Revision rhinoplasty time

+1

The reason it's usually recommended to wait a least a year before revision is to allow for enough complete healing so that accurate judgments can be made for the revision. I f you have an asymmetry or depression early on and you try to correct it to soon you can't judge accurately how much to add or adjust because it's still going to be changing. it also helps for the tissue to be more pliable to work on then when they are still pretty swollen. If your surgeon is comfortable that healing from your previous procedure has progressed enough to allow revision then go ahead.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

One year for nasal revisions lets all the problems appear and improves successlus or minus

+1

I am not sure what you mean by the "allowed" time, but if you mean a year, a week or two won't matter.

The reason for waiting is to let the floor stop moving--let all the things that are going to change, stop changing.

Waiting also lets the tissues soften so that corrective procedures are more successful and safer.

You've waited so long already--why not do everything you can to ensure a good result this time?

Good luck to you.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon