Revision Rhino-severely over Scooped Bridge, Visible Columella and Visible Incision Scare from Open Rhinoplasty 2008?

I had a septo/rhino in 08' that lead to an severely over-scooped bridge(Boxers nose) and an over rotated tip. I'm seeking options for a revision. The first surgeon said I would have to use GorTex along with my cartilage to rebuild bridge because so much was over scooped. He also recommended non-cartilage use to help support the tip. Should I be concerned with GorTex? I live in Nashville, TN and looking for revision rhino but I'm having a hard time finding a doctor. Referrals for Nashville?

Revision rhinoplasty options

+1

It sounds like you will need a fairly complicated revision rhinoplasty with restoration of nasal architecture.  You should consult with a surgeon experienced in revision procedures who will also discuss functional aspects of the needed reconstruction.  In general, alloplastic materials should be avoided in the nose, your own cartilage is ideal if there is a sufficient amount available.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

First, there are many options for dorsal onlays including using your own tissue such as from the rib, or even irradiated cartilage to name a few. Best to look up some surgeons on ASAPS or ASPS as a start.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  Although a personal consultation is recommended to evaluate and determine a plan for your particular situation, in general, I do not recommend using foreign body materials to build up the nose.  I prefer using material from your own body to build up and revise the nose to help avoid the complications of rejection, migration, infection, etc that are commonly seen with using foreign materials.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.  If you cannot find a local specialist, you may want to venture to another state, which is common, to find the best surgeon for you.  After all, you do not want to undergo another revision afterwards.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Revision rhinoplasty for scooped out nose

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor and it is best to seek out  a rhinoplasty surgeon who is performed thousands of rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty surgeon surgeries. Dorsal augmentation as best achieved with patient's own cartilage from the nose or the ear. We do not recommend Gore-Tex in the nose to the infection/complications we have seen from other office Please see the link below for notices that we have repaired a scooped out bridge.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Revision Rhinoplasty is a complex surgery and your situation may be more complex than the average one.I am not a fan of Gortex in the nose for any reason.I would recommend you seek a qualified surgeon with experience in secondary Rhinoplasty.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

The overdone, non-cosmetic rhinoplasty

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is a very specialized surgery that should be undetaken by surgeons with broad experience in this arena.  Especially since there is scar tissue I would be very hesitant to use synthetic materials such as gore tex.  Cartilage is a much better bet and can be used for volume and structural support.  In your case (hard to be specific without pictures) you should seek a doctor Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons, and be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can see the type of results that are reasonable to expect.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Gore-Tex in rhinoplasty

+1

Gore-tex along the dorsum of the nose to build up a scooped nose would be ideal.Gore-Tex in the nasal tip can be a problems and I like to use ear cartilage for revision nasal tip work.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon