Pain, Pressure, and Bigger Nose After Revision Rhino-Septoplasty

I had revision Rhino-Septoplasty 4 months ago. Eight weeks into recovery, I had a small knock to my nose and I was in intense pain, and there was a feeling of pressure in my nose for a period af a week. During that time, I saw my nose deviate to the left and my nasal bones were being pushed apart, leaving my nose wider. Now, 4 months on, my nose aches, I can feel pressure, and my bones have moved, making my nose look wider and bigger on the profile view. What happened, and is it fixable?

Injury after a rhinoplasty

+1

If you had an injury to your nose after your cosmetic rhinoplasty, it could certainly have compromised the cosmetic result. If your nose now appears, you may well have broken the bone or the cartilage. If so, you may need revision surgery to correct the problem.

Trauma after Rhinplasty

+1

The nose is more susceptible to trauma for several months after rhinoplasty; you may have broken your nose. It is not an emergency, but see you surgeon as soon as possible to determine what treatment is recommended.  

Trauma after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Any trauma to the nose following rhinoplasty - or revision rhinoplasty - can potentially damage the boney-cartilaginous framework and alter the results.

During the first several weeks following a rhinoplasty, the nasal framework is susceptible to shifting. This is particularly true if the nasal bone were surgically broken (called osteotomies).

If the appearance of the nose changes after an injury, you should revisit your surgeon so that he or she may re-evaluate your nose. It may require additional surgery to correct.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon