Revision Rhino Rib Graft - Warped? (photo)

revision to former rhino. reputable dr advised we do a rib graft to build up the dorsum a bit and sidwall & revise the tip. was supposed to maintain slight slope. 5 wks post opp, major swelling subsided. curves to one side & is harsh looking on left sidewall on one side - like cartilage is visible. on right, there's a visible bump at the top,other side doesn't have that. will I have to wait a year & revise to look normal again? Is this considered warped graft & will it cont to warp?

Revision Rhino Rib Graft - Warped?

+1

The graft can warp, but swelling can always play a factor at this early time.  If you found a reputable surgeon, I would trust the judgment of the surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rib Cartilage Grafts

+1
I believe most cartilage grafts warp unless they are crushed, bruised or their structural integrity is altered. Completion of healing process and your satifaction of the outcome will determine the need for further surgery.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib Graft to nose.

+1

I am not a big fan of rib graft to nose and the warp factor is one of the main reasons.  Nevertheless this is a very accepted technique and I cannot fault its choice.   I believe the future is unknown at this point.  You may heal and be fine or just have a minor problem that will be easily corrected by a tiny revision.  Then again the rib graft may need to come out and be replaced with one of the alternatives.   I bet a minor adjustment will be the answer.  Be patient and work with your surgeon.   Overall you look quite nice and all may improve with the magic of healing.   My Best,  Dr C.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon