Revision Rhino, Raise Columella, Refine Tip?

2 days ago, I had a revision rhino. The columella was raised, and tip shortened. As of now, there is a lot of extra nostril showing from the front view. It's snout- like looking. I fully 100 % understand there is swelling, and that it needs a long time to decrease. I am in no way in panic mode. Though, I am just wondering if when the columella is raised, does it appear to be overly dropped the days after surgery, due to swelling? Also, is it safe to take ''Diphenhydramine HCI'' after surgery?

+1

This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.   The swelling is going to be very prominent at this early stage.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Kenneth Hughes, MD

Columella droop after revision rhinoplasty is NORMAL.

+1

You are correct in assuming that swelling is significant so close to surgery! Your tip will remain swollen the longest...especially after having multiple surgical procedures. Give yourself a chance to heal before evaluating your result. Typically, raising a hanging columella requires a reduction in the lowest portion of the septal cartiledge. This manipulation induces swelling which pushes the columella down (droop) and will resolve slowly as the swelling goes away!

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD