For Multiple Revision Rhinos, Is Ear Cartilage As Good as Rib?

hi i just wanted to know in mulitple revision ethic rhinoplasty i recently had ear cartlidge used as a tip graft. i also had a medpor implant. i just want to know if the tip cartlidge will last and is durable. my doctor is against rib on the tip. i also want to know if my nose would have been any different had he augmented ONLY the tip with rib? or is ear just as good?. im happy with my nose. although i would love love have it more augmented but i have to accept what i have.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

It all depends on the thickness of your nasal tip skin. Rib cartilage is more firm than ear or septal cartilage. So if your skin is thick then rib cartilage would be preferable. Consider defatting your tip as well.

Dr.S.

Ear vs rib cartilage

+1

Ear cartilage is a very durable material for rhinoplasty surgery. Rib cartilage is stronger and is best used when structural support is needed (not necessarily with tip grafting). Rib cartilage can also be used as an onlay graft on the tip (after proper carving, of course).

It's impossible for us to say how things would be different if rib was used.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty revision and cartilage

+1

For rhinoplasty grafting I prefer septal cartilage, rib cartilage for dorsal augmentation.  Sometimes because of the skin envelope there are limits to  augmentation because of risk of skin necrosis.