Doctor Recommendations for Tummy Tuck Revision

I had a tummy tuck in April 2010. I had severe scarring and neuropathy, which is very painful even today. My physician suggest revision surgery but not from the plastic Surgeon who did the original surgery. He says I need a specialist from UVA or DUKE. Can you recommend someone qualified and skilled enough to do this revision? Im terrified to have to have it re-done because of the pain I went through and still deal with but Im being told adhesions and scar tissue may be causing the neuropathy.

Postop pain after a tummy tuck

+2

Your early photos look like you have great shape.  The bruising appears totally normal and the scars seem to be well healed.  If you have an additional comorbidity then I'd tend to that (paresthesias from diabetes, high anxiety, anything else).  If the scars have widened treat them with silicone sheeting or hybrisil, you'd be amazed at how well the silicone/steroid combination do for incisions/scarring.  If all is well healed and you just have pain, give it more time, additional surgery needs to be intentional and directed at a problem.  You can't just go in there and see what is wrong, nothing will show up.  Stretching your scars out is helpful, visit with a physical therapist to explain to you how you can stretch out these areas.  The university may have neurologists to recommend for chronic pain but unlikely will they have a magic wand that will make something difficult like this just go away.  Best wishes to you,

Complications after Tummy Tuck

+2

You received great advice. Go to the Plastic Surgery Service at either University and you will receive excellent care.  Your situation is unique and I am not sure what the problems are or of the nature of your original surgery.  Go to the University.  You will receive fine advice and care.  Of course the very best first step is to visit your primary plastic surgeon.  Se what advice you get.  Get a second opinion from the university service.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Scarring and neuropathy

+2

These photos look like your early post-op photos. How long ahve you been since your surgery and what do they look like now?

Tummy Tuck Revision

+2

I agree with the other Plastic Surgeons.  In your early post operative photos which you post here, your results look excellent.  You do not post recent photos, so I cannot comment on whether a scar revision for unsightly scars would be warrented.  I do however agree that  revision surgery for pain is usually not helpful.  I would also recommend that you see a pain specialist, or return to your original surgeon to discuss your options.  I dont really see any benefit is switching surgeon.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar Revision after a Tummy Tuck- 4 Reasons

+2

You have an impressive result from your body contouring surgery .  I would not recommend doing anything with your scar except for normal scar therapy . 
I only recommend scar revision in a tummy tuck for the following  4 reasons

1. Wide ,deep or very  asymmetrical  scar after one year

2. If I can improve it by at least 50% after one year of normal wound healing

3. A Hypertrophic Scar due to excess tension not responsive to conservative intra -lesional low dose steriod therapy as well as silicone sheeting for at least one year

4. I do not operate on painful scars or Keloid scars unless I am able to alter the original wound environment

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Tummy tuck

+2

Judging the early post-op photos, I would agree with the other plastic surgeons.  It appears that your result is good.  The pain that you describe is unusual, especially a neuropathy.  If the pain is from the scars themselves, they should subside in time.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Significant Long-Term Pain After A Complex Tummy Tuck Is Unusual

+2

Your early results from your fleur-de-lis tummy tuck look quite good and there is certainly nothing wrong with the cosmetic result. Your pain issues are a different story and are quite uncommon after this kind of surgery. Why you have such pain is not clear but revisional surgery is both not indicated nor likely to be therapeutic at this point for your pain issues. Since it is over nine months since your surgery, it is time to see a pain specialist to see if they can help. While scars can be uncomfortable during the healing phase, chronic persistent pain of the kind you describe is not typical.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck revision - don't!

+2

Your photos appear to have been taken soon after surgery.  You look to be doing well - the overall contours are very pleasing.

I would advise against having more surgery to deal with pain. It is unlikely to succeed.

I recommend seeing a specialist in pain management who can work with you to allow you to be more comfortable.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tender scar after tummy tuck

+2

Scars can be sensitive or tender after a tummy tuck though you should not jump to revision until the scar has had adequate time to soften and resolve. This can take a year or more. Your photos show you have only recently had a vertical and horizontal correction of the skin excess which can be needed in those who have lost excessive weight. Time now to be patient and recover.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy tuck revision

+2

I see nothing wrong with what your doctor did in the early postop photos you show.  So there is no need for a revision from what you have shown.  Also, revising you for pain will likely not work.  You should see a pain specialist, not another plastic surgeon.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS