Need Revision Post TT- Belly Button Closed-Must Locate Umbilical. Is This Necessary?

Hi Doctors. I had a FTT with MR on August 4th 2010. My BB had issues-infections and has since closed up completely. I now have a vertical scar instead.Revision is set for Jan 2011. PS said he will locate and reattach my umbilical creating a new BB. He has never seen this before. What are your experiences with this happening? Should I bother get a revision?(I've have complication with recovery,ex:incision opened up too-I am in good health,29yo). Is there a danger not getting this revision done?TY

Belly button revision post abdominoplasty

+2

I think you need to have another chat with your surgeon.  Looking at the photos, it seems that you had necrosis of the umbo, which can happen after abdominoplasty and usually heals to a scar, as yours has.  All the umbilicus is is a scar from where the umbilical cord was attached and so you may be happy with it like it is (and it sounds like you are).  The alternative would be to have an umbilical reconstruction, which may be what he is planning.

Your post suggests that the umbilicus has retracted inside and your surgeon is going to pull it out again.  If this is what has happened, then it would be a good idea to go ahead with surgery, although it sounds unlikely.  Your surgeon will be in the best place to advise you on whether you need to have surgery again or not, but I think that you should make it clear to him or her that you are happy to leave it alone.  Often when patients suffer a complication like, this, we embark on revision surgery to correct it as much for ourselves, as for our patients!

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical stalk revision

+1

It is unclear exactly what happened to your umbilicus.  Did you get a wound infection and the skin healed over the edges and sides, or did you acutally have loss of your umbilicus? 

Umbilical (belly button) revision after Tummy Tuck.

+1

This depends on whether there truly is an umbilical remnant. If there is and you do nothing, you could potentially develop an abcess. If yhere is no residual belly button, leaving it alone would be a better option.

You may want to leave it alone

+1

Sorry about the complications post surgery. From the post surgery pictures,looks like you had umbilicus necrosis and there is no belly botton to find under the scar. i would suggest no revision . The other option is belly botton reconstruction.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon