After the Otoplasty my ears were symmetrical. Do I need revision Otoplasty? (photo)

Hello doctors. I had otoplasty 1 month ago and I m not satisfied with the results. After the surgery the ears were symmetrical. Now one has relapse quite a lot while the other at all. (0.6mm difference)The one that has not relapse had much more cartilage to begin with, that wasn't removed or trimmed while the one that relapsed was thinner to start with. .Do you think I need revision and if yes when can I have it? Is there is anything i can do at this point so the other ear comes out too? Thanks

Revision Otoplasty

+1

Thank you for the pictures.  At one month post op, it is difficult to assess your ears because swelling is still present.  I would wait at least six months before evaluating you for revision.  Be aware that slight asymmerties are normal, and that mild discrepancies are possible.  I do see that the relapsed ear seems to have much more excess conchal cartilage.  I beleive that the positioning of that ear can be improved with excision of excess conchal bowl cartilage and possibly further tightening the antihelical fold.  Again, I suggest waiting 6 months prior to revision.  I also suggest you followup with your operating surgeon for evaluation.  Good Luck

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision otoplasty

+1

Revision otoplasty will depend on how close you want your ears to your skull. At 1 month there is still some swelling between your conchal bowl and skull so the position of your ears will change. all ears are not dead symetrical so mm differences are not that important, but if you have noticed the difference it might be worth correcting. I would wait 6 months.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon