If I think I might need a revision done should I night have a steroid shot? (photo)

I am just about 5 months post op rhinoplasty, my tip is extremely bulbous and if it doesn't go down I am not going to be happy with my results. My question is should I have a steroid injection to see if it helps? I have heard if you have any possibility of a revision surgery you should not have a steroid injection. Is this true?

Bulbous Tip 5 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Your tip may become less bulbous as healing progresses. Wait another 5-6 months before considering a revision. I would not inject steroids into a tip; there is a significant risk of having contour irregularities. Your questioned the projection of your tip in another post. All of this can be evaluated in the future. At this time be patient.

If I think I might need a revision done should I night have a steroid shot?

+1

Even with the poorly posted photos it appears that you need tip revision NOt steroid injections. Best to seek more IN PERSON info. or other In person opinions.

Steroid Injections in the Nose

+1

The primary purpose of steroid injections is to reduce prolonged or excessive swelling. This is done usually within the first three months, but can still be useful later as well. A secondary effect of steroid injections is tissue atrophy. This too can be useful if there is a build up of scar tissue below the skin, usually caused by excessive bleeding after the surgery. However, this secondary effect is the cause of most unwanted side effects of steroid injections, including unpredictable excessive tissue atrophy leading to depressions or underlying bony or cartilaginous visibility, thinning of the skin, discoloration of the skin, and new blood vessel growth in the skin (spider veins).

It is difficult to assess your candidacy for steroid injections via photographs provided, and perhaps it may help to some extent in the supratip region (just above the tip). However, it does appear that your tip cartilages are still bowed, and your tip will probably remain wide after injections.

If you are considering revision rhinoplasty, be sure your doctor has clear photographic representation of patients he has done that have a similar problem, as this would indicate, at least to some extent, his experience. Removing more cartilage is probably not the answer, and sophisticated cartilage control sutures will give you the tip you were hoping for.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Steroid in nasal tip 5 months post op.

+1

I would NOT do this in the tip. Above the tip is fine, but in the tip ccan cause irregular depressions.