Can I Get a Revision to Lower my FTT Scar? (photo)

I am 6 weeks post op from FTT. I was aware of the possible vertical incision to close up my old belly button but was unaware that I would be left with a W-style and a vertical incision. Could this be revised in a later time frame to lower this scar or even possible to be able to remove the vertical scar? Also old belly piercing hole is still there along with puckering of old bb...

Scar revision occasionally indicated after abdominoplasty.

The W-incision will flatten somewhat in the scar should be acceptable. The vertical scar looks as though a revision would improve the situation. This should be done after wound healing is complete.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Can I Get a Revision to Lower my FTT Scar?

Dear surfer girl,

Thank you for your question and photos.

Yes, you should get a revision.  Would be nice to see a pre-operative photo, but I would revise the lower incision as well as the bellybutton itself.  The following is an example of what an elongated vertical belly button looks like.

PAblo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

8900 Raintree
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Yes you can and need a revision! But I would wait at least 3 months to allow more healing and softening of the incision scar. Even 6 months would be best. As for "total" vertical scar removal very hard to respond via the internet but I think so. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

TT scar revision

Absolutely, the scar can be revised.  I would wait until about a year for tissues to be optimal and for scar to settle.  Often, a scar will not need a revision if you wait. 

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

Lowering a tummy tuck incision scar

Thank you for the question.  The vertical incision can be re-excised at at earlier time since there is not that much tension on it.  This will improve the appearance of the vertical incision as well as the belly button.  The horizontal incision should wait for at least 6 months before revision to allow skin to relax.  Depending on how much laxity you have above the belly button this may be lowered a some but often not as much as desired.  The good news is that only the central horizontal incision needs to be lowered.  You may be able to lower and include this part as part of the vertical incision.  The end result would be a lower central horizontal incision.  There is also a third option which includes tissue expansion of the upper abdominal area if the amount of laxity is not enough.  This is often reserved for very tight upper abdominal area.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Can I Get a Revision to Lower My Tummy Tuck Scar?

Dear Surfergirl2011,

Tummy tuck scars often fade and flatten over the course of several months to a few years.

Patience is key, as scars often improve with time. Proper aftercare is also important.

Tummy tuck scars can often be lowered slightly after several months. Your vertical scar can be revised, but it is unlikely that it can be completely removed.

If you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your scars after 6-12 months, see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation. Be wary of laser owners offering to laser your scars before they have matured.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

77 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102

The scar can be lowered centrally to eliminate the W appearance, but the vertical scar cannot be eliminated without raising the scar to a prohibitively high level. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

The central portion of the horizontal scar can probably be lowered after 6 to 12 months. It may be possible to lower the vertical scar, but only by a little, not enough to remove it. The vertical scar can be expected to improve over the next few months. 

All the best. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004