Revision of Internal Pocket. Downsizing 700cc Breast Implants W/ Full Lift?

I have 700cc Mod+ smooth round under the muscle. I am downsizing my implant to something like 350-450cc w/ a Full Lift. I was mostly concerned with the "LIFT" part of the procedure because of the scars. But after my first consult I now realize how the revision of the Pocket it equally, if not more important. He wants to try to keep the diameter similar so he doesn't have to mess with the pocket too much. So like 500-550cc. Can someone explain the different options of revising the pocket smaller?

Downsizing breasts

+1

I have downsized breasts and done lifts at the same time.  I have never had to downsize the pocket in such a case, however.  I think the most important consideration in your case is the experience of the surgeon performing the surgery.  If they have done this procedure often enough before and you have seen photos of their work you like, I would trust the surgeon's judgment.

+1

This is very difficult to give advice without more specific information, but your surgeon should be able to navigate these issues with ease.  Keeping the implant diameter at the same length seems reasonable if the implants fit the breast imprint at the present time.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations, breast augmentation revisions, and breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Aim for a "hand in glove" fit

+1

Ideally the implant "base diameter" or foot print should match the width of your hemithorax or chest.  You didn't specify whether your 700cc Mod+ implant is saline or silicone.  Either way, the weight and size of the implant can "tissue expand" or stretch the overlying skin causing the majority of the implant volume to dislocate "down and out".  Most of my patients who accept a breast lift do so because they have a mismatch between the amount of breast skin and their desired breast shape and volume.  They are willing to accept scars, provided that the shape is acceptable and the results "long lasting". Regrettably, the strength of the breast skin often fails to hold up in the long run, so many revisional surgeries are less than successful.  There are several options to revise a pocket in which a breast implant will eventually reside: 1. Suture capsulorrhaphy: uses a permanent suture to tack the overlying breast tissue down to the chest wall; 2. Capsulorrhaphy using either ADM or synthetic mesh to provide a "hammock" to support the implant.  Both strategies should be combined with a full "anchor pattern" lift and using a smaller volume and base diameter implant.  The choice of technique really depends on the patient's anatomy, surgeon's experience and the implant size/volume.  Hope this helps. 

Lavinia Chong, MD