Can a Revision Help Really Prominent Facelift Scars and Scarce Hair Around the Ears?

I have very little hair around my ears now from my face/neck lift 2 years ago. Not only are the scars around my ears so visible that I cannot wear my hair pulled back away from my face, but the scars that extend up into my hairline are also prominent. Can anything be done to correct this?

Revision of facelift scar can be very effective

+2
A well placed facelift scar is a good bet for excellent healing and the facelift incision has withstood the test of time. So too, a facelift scar which has not worked out can very often be improved with revision, and sometimes the hairline can be improved as well. Things can be helped and a revision of your scars is worth looking into.

Facelift scars and hair loss

+2

Unsightly Facelift scars can be revised but it frequently requires some laxity of the skin before it can be done safely and successfully. Either photographs or a consultation with a Facial Plastic Surgeon would determine that. When hair has been eliminated because of a poor choice of incisions, hair transplants may be the only solution.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Obvious Scars and Scarce Hair after Facelift

+2

Scars can be removed and the skin advanced and closed in a tension free manner so the resulting scars are small and placed in a natural crease. The lost hair can be replaced with grafts or by advancing the surrounding normal hair. I need to see pictures but hopefully you will once again have total freedom of styling.

Poor scars after facelift

+1
First, one must consider why your scars healed so poorly.  Are there any external factors that can be improved: smoking, sun exposure, poor diet, lack of Vitamin C/A, etc. that could have led to a poor result. Once this is all optimized, a revision can be scheduled to correct the scar with minimal tension and care to avoid any injury to hair follicles in the line of the scar.   Oblique incisions that allow hair follicles to grow through a scar is a frequently mentioned technique.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear catleya,

Thank you for your question. Yes, you are far enough away from your facelift that a revision for improving the scars is possible.  The more tension on the skin, the wider the scar, which is why more tension should be placed in the deep tissue.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Revision For Facelift Scarring & Hair Loss

+1

Yes, a well done scar revision is a very good option to minimize any excess scarring post surgery. Something that would also benefit some patients with hair loss in the incision area would be to transplant hair into the area so as to give the patient a more natural looking hairline. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with your surgeon to discuss all your options. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scars and Revision

+1

Thank you for your question. A revision may help, but the revision may not change the scar at all.  Perhaps a different type of suture or technique will decrease scar visibility.  Laser is also an option but an exam by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will allow you time to explore all of the options available. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after a facelift

+1

Poor placement of the incision can result in scarring and an unnatural elevation of the sideburn.   There are three options:

• Scar revision without revising the facelift
  • Revision facelift with repositioning of the scar
  • Hair transplant to cover it up

I would love to see some pictures and could then let you know what I think would work the best.  I have posted a link to my before-and-after gallery.  In the three quarter view photo turned to the right you can see a patient with her hair pulled back.  This is a demonstration of how a scar should look and how much the sideburn will come up after a lift.  I hope this helps.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Poor scarring after facelift

+1

Revision and hair transplants can certainly improve results.  Please talk to your surgeon, who should be motivated to help you, as none would want a 'bad result' telling their friends.  Otherwise get a second opinion.

Curtis Wong, MD

Facelift scar should be practically invisible even if a revision is required.

+1

Most facelift scars are very acceptable several weeks after the operation. Sometimes unsightly scars require a revision but in the end they should be acceptable and permit the patient to wear the hair up.