Ok to Get Revision from 275 to 375 After 8 Weeks from Lift & Augmentation?

06/05/12 first lift & augmentation with mentor submuscular 275 cc silicone but was smaller than desired. set for revision on 08/01/12 with 100 cc increase to 375 and wanted to know if 1) is 100 cc representative of approximately half a cup size increase or is it more? I am 5 ft 4 and 125 with small frame and do not want to look too large. 2) is only 8 weeks too soon for revision? swelling gone but not 10% healed IAlso worried about scarring and loss of sensitivty going in a second time.

Ok to Get Revision from 275 to 375 After 8 Weeks

+2

We all try hard to help her patient's choose an appropriate-sized implant before the surgery but the process is not foolproof.

An occasional patient, like yourself, ends up somewhat dissatisfied with the ultimate size that was achieved. I, and most surgeons who answer questions on this website generally prefer a 3 month waiting period. The shape and sometimes apparent size of the implant isn't set until healing is accomplished. In addition many patients who seem unsatisfied early on windup very pleased after several months. Therefore we try to have a reasonable waiting period, which admittedly is somewhat arbitrary. 

In terms of your first question, there are no fixed definitions of cup sizes. A cup on a 38 band is larger than a cup on a 36 band, which in turn is larger than the cup on a 34 inch band, and so forth. Most surgeons who answer questions on this site note that a cup size is 200 to 250cc. I try hard to be get involved in such guesses with my own patients. 

For the second question, I would ask if you and your surgeon are comfortable with the decision at this time. If the implant hasn't "dropped" completely, and if there is too much fullness at the top and not enough in the lower pole of the breast, then wait. Otherwise it is between you and your surgeon.

Thanks and best wishes.

Revision after 8 weeks?

+1

Thank you for your question.  Without direct examination and a full communication of vehicles it is not possible to give you specific advice

In my opinion, (generally speaking) having revisionary surgery after just 8 weeks of your first surgery is too soon.  The implants haven't completely settled and you are not seeing the final results yet.  I normally suggest that patients wait at least 4-6 months before considering revisionary surgery.

Good Luck.

It is too sooon for a revision

+1
Your swelling has not gone down yet and, notwithstanding your dissatisfaction with the size, you should allow for recovery prior to making a decision as to how much larger to go. If you are worried about complications, operating in an as-yet unhealed field is not wise. Many patients have a bit of a letdown after augmentation and it is important to allow your body to heal and your psyche to adapt before making changes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Revision after lift and implant

+1

First of all, what is your rush?  Allowing your body time to recover from the procedure will be helpful in making a better decision and soften with respect to scar tissue etc. Waiting will allow you to see your final result not masked by swelling. And there is no "cup size" specific volume as every bra manufacturer is different. 100 cc can be a lot or a little depending upon your overall size and existing breast tissue. Try communicating with your surgeon through pictures so that he/she can see what outcome you want and then do his/her best to get you close. Breast augmentation is not a recipe, but a combination of numerous factors that lead to a final outcome. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Hello

+1

Having surgery 8 weeks post-surgery is too soon. In our practice and in most practices waiting at least 3-6 months is better. You are not completely healed yet and you are still swollen. Your final results take time; going 100 cc is not a big difference in size.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS