Revision Facelift to Lift Above Tragus? One Side Is Drooping Down 1 Year Post Op.

After a facelift 1 year ago, I feel that the right side needs more lifting to match the left. That side seems to be falling and not supporting my mouth as much, and as the FL falls, my teeth are hitting together too much. If I lift at the top of the tragus, it feels normal and matches the left side. Can a revision facelift lift from this area only? Would this be a minor or major revision? Is this unusual to have this difference in upward pull at that location? Thank you.

Revision face lift

+2

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing you in person and examining you– you should at least consider posting images showing your areas of concern

Minor revision facelift may help

+1

Minor touch ups after facelifts are very common and usually very effective. It sounds like a minor revision would help you, but this will NOT change your bite or tooth alignment. I would recommend seeing a dentist or an orthodontist.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Revision Facelift for Asymmetry at 1 Year

+1

If there is significant asymmetry due to laxity of tissues on one side, a revision may be in order, but this would be impossible to determine without an exam or pictures.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift - Revision Facelift to Lift Above Tragus?

+1

It's unusual to have your bite changed by a facelift...so you should, first of all, be assessed by your dentist.  Whatever that issue is needs to be resolved before considering any additional surgery.

Once that is settled you can consider having something done to tighten/adjust the right side.  It may or may not be that simple; sometimes a little skin can be excised and the area tightened.  But if you need more than a small amount done then it can, paradoxically, be a more extensive procedure.  That's because you need to make sure that there is the most minimal degree - if any - of tension on any of the incision sites.

Asymmetry, both in general and specifically with respect to the face, is common.  Simply achieving perfect symmetry is neither possible in the greater scheme, nor something that should be aimed for...it's just asking too much.  So if it's a slight degree of asymmetry I suspect that it will be better to leave it alone.  If there is a greater degree of symmetry then it may be worth addressing.

Either way, you should discuss this with your plastic surgeon, and work out a plan that is acceptable to both of you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1

Without more information about the type of Face Lift performed and what you look like at this point, there's no way to tell what would be required.  It could be as simple as a minimally invasive Face Lift although it's very rare to have anything done just on one side in my 20 plus years experience performing Face Lifts.  

Revision for Facelift

+1

If your bite has truly changed, you need to be evaluated by a dentist.  This is not the result of your facelift or relaxation of one side.  The laxity in the face can be revised easily, but it will have no effect on your teeth.

Donald Griffin, MD

Touch up facelift

+1

What you describe sounds achievable in terms of the soft tissues. Touchups at one year for areas that loosen up are sometimes needed. You should be talking to your original surgeon about your concerns and make a plan together.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Revision For Rebound Relaxation

+1

It is not unsual to have rebound relaxation after a facelift that affects the two sides of the face differently. Regardless of the degree of rebound relaxation, this is not the source of any changes in your bite. Revisional or tuck-up facelifts can be done in any number of ways to match the problem...in your case a unilateral approach that only opens up the preauricular-temporal scar of the original facelift. This would be a minor procedure compared to the original facelift.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

I think discussing this with your original plastic surgeon is appropriate.

+1

No one will be more motivated than your original plastic surgeon to assess what is going on.  Facial lifts do not ordinarily change the bite.  It may be that something else is going on that will require assessment by a dentist unless your plastic surgeon happens to also be trained as a dentist.

Begin by seeing your dentist

+1

A change in your bite can certainly make your face appear uneven.

Rather than consider a revision, it would be better to establish a normal bite and then have evaluation by your plastic surgeon.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon