Revision for Ectropion of Upper Eyelid After Blepharoplasty?

I had double eyelid surgery three weeks ago. While my right eye is looking fine, the rim of my upper left eyelid has been left turned outward. I believe the medical term is "ectropion" and it is only common on the lower eyelid. I suspect this is the result of the crease being embedded too deeply.

My surgeon insists it's only a minor 'asymmetry' and has advised against future revisioning. I feel like he's downplaying a bad result as it's glaringly obvious when I look in the mirror. Can this be corrected/improved with further surgery?

Ectropion after upper eyelid surgery generally corrects itself

+2

Most of the issues related with upper eye lid irregularities corrects by itself after a period of about three months. I would be patient and follow up with my surgeon.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lid Ectropion: Very Rare

+1

As Dr. Blinski said, it is far too early to evaluate your results.  Upper lid ectropion is something much more common in overweight sleep apnea patients; I have personally never seen it after surgery.  Give it more time and more than likely the asymmetry will resolve.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery for ectropion should be made after eye has healed

+1

It is very rare to have an ectropion of the upper eyelids after an upper lid blepharoplasty. Since it has only been three weeks after your surgery, wait at least three to four months to allow swelling to subside before embarking on any further eyelid or blepharoplasty surgery. Once it is healed there are possibilities to reduce or remove asymmetries or ectropion.

Ectropion

+1

Sometimes early post-op, patients develop ectropion. This may be from weakness, over resection of lower eyelid skin, poor fixation of a canthopexy or all of the above.  Sometimes simple massage or taping can help improve the minor symptoms.

Ectropion after double eyelid surgery

+1

Ectropion after Double Eyelid Surgery is a rare problem. When it occurs it can usually be corrected with time and massage. Sometimes sutures may need to be loosened.  Be patient and hopefully this will correct itself.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Delay any blepharoplasty revision

+1

It sounds like the asymmetry in the upper eyelid is something that will improve with time and tissue relaxation. If your eye ball or cornea is adequately protected I would ask you to wait at least three months before doing any other procedure.

Try to be patient and do some light massage and see how everything heals as the tissue softens with time. The upper eyelid is more forgiving than the lower eye lid and you may find that no revision is necessary.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Ectropion of the upper eyelid is unusual but usually self corrects

+1

Sorry to read that you are having difficulty after your surgery. Fortunately, in contrast to lower eyelid ectropion this abnormality in the upper eyelid often will self correct over a few months.

If the self correction does not occur enhancement procedures are available

Good luck and be patient !

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Wait at least 3 months for evaluation of Blepharoplasty results

+1

First, your complaint is WAY too early, you need to wait at least 3 months. Second upper lid ectropion is very rare occurrence, I doubt you really have that. Third, GO talk to the operating surgeon, now! Best of Luck.