Do I Need a Revision Due to Lateral Displacement? (photo)

I'm almost 2 months post op. My implants aren't dropping much and they are so oddly shifted under my arms that I cant even wear a normal top. I walk around in a bulky sweatshirt to hide the distortion. They have been this way since day one of my surgery and my surgeon never mentioned lateral displacement so i didn't even know it existed until I did some research. I'm desperate for help.

Implant malposition

+2

It's not possible to tell where your implants truly are with arms in the air.  As you know, that makes them look higher.  It's early, hang in there.  The most likely thing is that they will drop.  As far as them falling out laterally, that's a different problem.  If they displace too far laterally (especially when laying down) then that won't improve in time.  Thanks for the photo, it gets you much more substantial evaluations.  Give this time and be patient, you'd be surprised how things settle and nestle in with more time.  Someone may make a nice comment about your new look and that's all it takes for you to start to accept your result.  Hope all works out ok for you.

Unfortunately, you probably will need a revision breast augmentation.

+2

Hi.

Of course, don't do anything for another four months, and be optimistic.  But your implant pockets are too high and I really doubt they will come down on their own.  That's more of a problem than the lateral displacement.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Revision Surgery for Lateral Displacement?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination. Furthermore, you are only 2 months out of surgery;  it is much too early to evaluate the final breast implant position and outcome of your surgery. I would suggest waiting at least 4 additional months,  if not longer before you “judge” the final results of surgery.

In the meantime, I would suggest you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Revision?

+1

The most common reason for implants that are high and lateral is incomplete release of the pec major muscle inferioromedially. This is much more common with combined augmentation and mastopexy as the surgeon works to preserve circulation with 2 competing procedures. The published revision rate is far higher than with either procedure alone.  

It would be easier to evaluate your implant position with your arms down but in this photo, they do look malpositioned.  Typically implants are "in position" by now but this is something you need to discuss with your surgeon since only he knows your pre-op appearance as well as the goals and limitations you discussed. The good news is that  if the pocket is just under dissected inferomedially, this type of revision has a very high rate of success with an excellent outcome.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Two months post lift and augmentation

+1

With your arms up in the air, it is difficult to say.  It is still early and the implants and skin may settle/soften. I would not rush into anything just yet.

Need Revision 2 Months After Breast Augmentation?

+1

Based on your information, it is too early to make any recommendations. Give it at least 6 months to see how things look.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS