Is It Always Possible to Do a Revision Chin Implant?

My previous chin implant was not done correctly. It looks weird and it is not properly placed. It has been 9 months and it moves all over the place. My doctor is saying he might not be able to put another implant in because the pocket might be too big and I will have another chin implant moving around again. He is stating he might have to remove this one and we might have to wait about 4months for the pocket to heal and get smaller then he may put a new implant. Does this sound right?

Staged Revision Chin Implant Surgery Can Work

+1

It sounds ilke the advice you received is sound. There are a couple of other options for stabilization depending on the procedure performed and the type of implant used. You can not go wrong though with removal followed by a delayed new implant in 4-6 months.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant can be revised

+1

The chin implant can always be revised. The existing chin implant can be removed and a new pocket placed. The importance is that the pocket is placed in the subperiosteal plane and the implant is inserted directly over the bone underneath the periosteum. In this fashion, you will not be able to feel the implant and it will not shift, move or migrate, or move around when palpating it.  

Revision chin implant

+1

The information your doctor has given you sounds correct. It is never wrong to take a conservative plan of action when considering revision surgery.  Another option is to fix the implant with sutures or screws to prevent migration.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rigid fixation will prevent chin implant movement

+1

I have seen this in many patients from other physicains.  This can occur if the implant is not fixated to the bone with a screw or suture or if it is placed in the incorrect tissue plane.  This can easily be corrected by repositioning a new implant into the correct tissue plane and securing the implant to the mandible with a titanium screw.  The option presented by your doctor is not unreasonable.  I would advocate that no matter when you under go revision surgery, that your implant be secured with a screw.  I hope this helps.  Warmest regards, Dr. Pippin.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Chin Implant

+1

What you are being told sounds correct but get another opinions to just be certain that this plan is the best for you and your situation. From MIAMI Good luck. 

Revision Chin Implant Surgery

+1

Sharpie, short of examining you in person, I would agree with your surgeon in terms of the recommended approach to remove the current implant and wait. I know you would like to get things remedied sooner, but in some cases giving it the tincture of time to heal will ultimately give you the best result. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon