Is Revision Breast Augmentation Easier to Recover from Than Initial Ba?

Hello, thank you for taking my question...I had BA about 2 months ago, 300cc L, 315cc R. subpec. I am 5'4" and about 130lb. My Ps stated that this size was appropriate for my chest and breast diameter. At first I was happy with my size, shape and fullness. Now after 2 months out, my breasts look like they have shrunk, are wide spaced, and lack the upper pole fullness that I had at first. If I decide for a revision, is it going to be easier than the first BA as far as recovery?

Revision Breast Augmentation

Revision breast augmentation, if just to change the size of the implants to larger implants, is easier than primary augmentation.  I would recommend that you wait at least 6 months to allow the capsule to fully form and for the breasts to fully settle. 

A couple of things to keep in mind.  First, upper pole fullness is often better treated with Allergan low profile, or Mentor moderate profile implants (both are analogous).  These implants have a larger diameter and thus fill the upper pole better.  Second, be very careful about the distance between the breasts.  Violating the medial boarders of the breasts often results in a monobreast and thus the need to then fix this problem.

You may find that by 6 months you're happy with your new breasts.  Good luck.

Breast Revision and Recovery

From what you are describing, your recovery should be a great deal easier and more comfortable with less pain.  That is assuming that it is a simple placement of larger implants.  Generally, I recommend to patients that they wait at least 4-6 months before carrying out breast revision surgery.

At times, if there is a significant amount of work that needs to be done, the discomfort will be more, but rarely is the discomfort for breast revision surgery as much or more than the initial subpectoral breast augmentation.

Always make sure that the surgeon performing the breast revision surgery has a tremendous experience in the procedure being performed.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Generally speaking, revisionary  breast augmentation surgery  of the type that you are contemplating tends to be associated with less discomfort and recovery time that initial breast augmentation surgery.  This is because the breast implant pocket has been previously dissected/expanded. Also, generally speaking, there is not as much time required for breast implant “settling” given that your surgeon will likely manipulate the breast implant pocket to accommodate the larger breast implant.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

By in large revisions should be less painful

Generally Breast Implant Revision is less painful and less traumatic than the original Breast Augmentation surgery. This does vary on a case by case basis because revisions can still be complicated.

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Implant Exchange Easier Recovery than Breast Augmentation

Yes, for the majority of patients an implant exchange for a larger one has less discomfort than the original surgery with a faster recovery. I have my patients wait a minimum of 6-9 months or longer prior to doing a repeat procedure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

SEcondary breast augmentation tends to be easier than first

In most cases revision breast augmentation is easier with a less painful recovery when compared to the initial breast augmentation.

Revision breast augmentation recovery

I would agree with the comment that more time should pass to be sure the breasts are fully settled to consider a revision. I require a minimum of 3 months but longer may be reasonable if they are still changing. It is also important to be certain that the revision can or will achieve what you are expecting as this didn't apparently happen in the original surgery. 

If the incision is in the inframammary crease and the only thing done is to open it and replace the implant within the size range that the capsule will accommodate, there is little healing and recovery to undergo. I would agree with the comment that all revisions are different and it depends on what is being done as to the recovery from a revision, but in general, revisions should be an easier recovery than the initial procedure. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Secondary breast augmentation surgery

Usually secondary breast augmentation surgery is less painful than the primary procedure because the tissue has already gone through an expansion.

revision breast augmentation easier to recover

Yes in most cases but there are always exceptions. Discuss in an in person evaluation after an examination. There you can determine what type of revision you need.

Revision augmentation is generally less painful

The main pain following breast augmentation is from the muscle tightness.  After the muscle has time to relax and settle into place over the implant the tight discomfort goes away.  If you go back to surgery and change the implants in the same pocket, the recovery is much less painful.  It sounds like your pockets have stretched out to the side so this may require some tightening and this may be the main source of discomfort after the procedure.

Overall the revision surgery is less painful and a quicker recovery.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon