Is Revision Breast Augmentation Easier to Recover from Than Initial Ba?

Hello, thank you for taking my question...I had BA about 2 months ago, 300cc L, 315cc R. subpec. I am 5'4" and about 130lb. My Ps stated that this size was appropriate for my chest and breast diameter. At first I was happy with my size, shape and fullness. Now after 2 months out, my breasts look like they have shrunk, are wide spaced, and lack the upper pole fullness that I had at first. If I decide for a revision, is it going to be easier than the first BA as far as recovery?

By in large revisions should be less painful

+1

Generally Breast Implant Revision is less painful and less traumatic than the original Breast Augmentation surgery. This does vary on a case by case basis because revisions can still be complicated.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Implant Exchange Easier Recovery than Breast Augmentation

+1

Yes, for the majority of patients an implant exchange for a larger one has less discomfort than the original surgery with a faster recovery. I have my patients wait a minimum of 6-9 months or longer prior to doing a repeat procedure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

SEcondary breast augmentation tends to be easier than first

+1

In most cases revision breast augmentation is easier with a less painful recovery when compared to the initial breast augmentation.

Revision breast augmentation recovery

+1

I would agree with the comment that more time should pass to be sure the breasts are fully settled to consider a revision. I require a minimum of 3 months but longer may be reasonable if they are still changing. It is also important to be certain that the revision can or will achieve what you are expecting as this didn't apparently happen in the original surgery. 

If the incision is in the inframammary crease and the only thing done is to open it and replace the implant within the size range that the capsule will accommodate, there is little healing and recovery to undergo. I would agree with the comment that all revisions are different and it depends on what is being done as to the recovery from a revision, but in general, revisions should be an easier recovery than the initial procedure. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Secondary breast augmentation surgery

+1

Usually secondary breast augmentation surgery is less painful than the primary procedure because the tissue has already gone through an expansion.

revision breast augmentation easier to recover

+1

Yes in most cases but there are always exceptions. Discuss in an in person evaluation after an examination. There you can determine what type of revision you need.

Revision augmentation is generally less painful

+1

The main pain following breast augmentation is from the muscle tightness.  After the muscle has time to relax and settle into place over the implant the tight discomfort goes away.  If you go back to surgery and change the implants in the same pocket, the recovery is much less painful.  It sounds like your pockets have stretched out to the side so this may require some tightening and this may be the main source of discomfort after the procedure.

Overall the revision surgery is less painful and a quicker recovery.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision surgery can be simple or complicated

+1

There is such a wide range of things that can be involved in revisions that there is no single answer to what the recovery will be like. A simple size change can be a very easy recovery, but if part of the issue is wide spacing it may involve some muscle work which would add to the recovery time. (The muscle may be pushing the implants apart.) Other things like animation deformities or capsular contracture are more involved.

Richard Baxter, MD

Recovery following Revision of Augmentation

+1

If your revision involves only a change in the size of implants, which seems to be the case, it should certainly be an easier recovery than your original procedure.  The pocket for your implant has already been dissected for the most part, so your recovery is primarily related to incisional pain and healing.

John Whitt, MD