Revision Blepharoplasty/canthoplasty with Only Local Anesthesia?

My initial upper/lower bleph was not successful. The doctor would like to revise it, but wants to use only local anesthesia and perform this in his office. The original procedure was done using general anesthesia in a surgery center. Am I off base asking for general anesthesia? Is this something I should have to pay for? Confused. The second procedure seems more involved, to me at least. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Revision Blepharoplasty

+2

Your questions are valid.  I am guessing that the original doctor is offering revisional surgery to be done with local anesthesia in his office, and I think this is quite fair.  Certainly, it can be done like this and if you are nervous, ask for a prescription for anti-anxiety medicine that you can take beforehand.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, it is reasonable

+1

Revision surgery is often done under local. As mentioned by others, it is reasonable to give the patient an antianxiety and pain medication about an hour before the surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Local Revison

+1

Local revision with conscious sedation is a reasonable approach.  However, no surgeon can guarantee that your revision will be 100% successful.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon