Will a Revision Be Beneficial for BA Asymmetry One Year Post-op? (Photos)

I had subpectoral augmentation on 7-3-12. I was barely 32A now 34D. I got memgel smooth rd mod+ (375 R and 400 L). I have my 1 year post-op on Mon but wanted some other opinions about my asymmetry. At 6 mo the fear was a revision causing asymmetry the other way but now it seems like it's a big enough difference.. want to be sure it can fix the asymmetry. Or are there other ideas/options.

Asymmetry is NORMAL

+1

as you can see from your pre-op photos.  Implants only increase the size and fullness of your breasts and do not promise symmetry.  Your tan lines cover the mounds equally and I have difficult appreciating any unflattering asymmetries... in fact you look really good.  It isn't worth the risks and costs of attempting to pursue perfection as you could end up with some other problem.  Should you develop obvious differences where you clothing doesn't hang right, then consider something surgical.

Will a Revision Be Beneficial for BA Asymmetry One Year Post-op?

+1

I think that a revision would offer little.  I would not recommend this.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast asymmetry

+1

All  breasts are slightly different. Implants tend to magnify the differences.  I would probably suggest if you were my patient to leave them alone. 

Postoperative augmentation asymmetry

+1

I always point out subtle asymmetries preop to get people prepared for some postop asymmetry. It isn't a criticism of anyone's breasts but, the truth is, there are very few breasts that are naturally really symmetric in every way. In your preop photos, you do have a little asymmetry in shape and even a bit in nipple position and I think this is reflected in your result. Having said this, you have very shapley breasts in both sets of photos. I think your postop result is good although I see what you are speaking of. Now you have to decide if it bothers you enough to take on more expense, time, and risk to attempt to make things a bit better. I think some patients would pursue a revision and many would not.

I always ask a patient which breast they like the most and then we can speak about ways to make the other breast more similar. I will tell you that it is certainly easier and more predictable to lower a breast than raise one. When we make adjustments to the scar capsule around an implant to shift an implant higher, lower, or more central, we are typically depending on internal sutures to do the work for us and allow your modified capsule to scar in in the new position. Sometimes the early result is perfect and then we see a loss of the correction in some cases with the implant settling back in nearly the same place. It can be disappointing to both patient and surgeon. And, occasionally, the surgical fix still leaves some modest asymmetry in the result. So, speak with your surgeon and point out what bothers you the most and talk about the realities of doing more. Good luck to you!

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

+1

Great series of posted photos! In my internet opinion I would be against doing any additional surgery!!! The minor asymmetry is just that - MINOR! Not worth the risks. 

Breast Augmentation revision

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. I agree with the previous comments. Revisional surgery is not free of risks and usually reserved to more severe problems. You have a nice result. Over 50% of women have a slight asymmetry (such as yours). Nevertheless, talk to your surgeon but here you have several similar opinions that I hope will help with your decision. 

Best to you.

Humberto Palladino, MD, FACS
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

BAM Asymmetry

+1

There is always risk involved, but in my opinion, if you are unhappy with the result, it is worth fixing.  your right implant is too low and lateral, and the capsule needs to be adjusted surgically.  At one year out, it is not jumping the gun to get it fixed.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Thanks for your inquiry and for providing your before pictures, it really helps.  I think some of your current breast shape and asymmetry can be blamed on pre-e-existing asymmetries.   The two different size implants also play a role.  My guess is you will have a frank conversation with your surgeon.  The risk of any revision procedure, in particular, if the implant capsule has to be entered, is a small but real risk that a new problem can be created: infection, bleeding, bottoming out, etc.  Please weigh these in your considerations, good luck. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Revision may not help

+1

Your before and after photos show a natural unevenness between the breasts with the right breast sitting lower and more to the side.  This is not an unusual situation, but it creates a dilemma with augmentation that surgeons deal with frequently.  If the implants are situated evenly, the natural unevenness of the breast and nipple is magnified.  If the implants are situated relatively even with the position of the breast and the nipple, the implants will have different height or position on the chest wall, as in your case.    Another way to say it is, if the right implant is moved up and in to match the other side, the nipple will look too low and to the side.  It is worth discussing your concerns with your surgeon, but a revision may not solve the issues.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry One Year Post-op?

+1

Talk to your surgeon, but based upon these photos I would be inclined to discourage a revision.  It is hard to tell from the pre-op photos, but since you got different sized implants you undoubtedly had some noticeable differences between the two sides. This asymmetry is almost always more noticeable in larger breasts. No one is exactly even. 

All the best.