Revision or Augamentation After Breast Lift?

In 2006, I had an anchor breast lift done to correct tuberous breasts with great results except for hypertrophic scarring. It never bothered me enough to consider revising the scars until after my pregnancy. I lost a significant amount of volume. I am seeking to have the cup size and fullness I had while lactating. My question is, is it possible to have an augmentation with the anchor scars?

Anchor lift

+1

It is very normal to loose fullness after breast feeding babies. Having a BREAST AUGMENTATION would give you the fullness you are looking for. Your scarring  has no contraindication to getting Implants. Usually in our practice we do the lift and Augmentation at the same time, So we don't see it as a problem.

Breast Augmentation with Anchor Scars

+1

Yes it is possible to have a breast augmentation with anchor scars. Commonly women would seek breast augmentations after a breast lift. In some cases they are done at the same time.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after breast surgery

+1

Not only is it possible but the scars could be revised and if managed appropriately after surgery the risk of hypertrophy happening again reduced.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast Augmentation after Previous Lift?

+1

Yes, it is possible to have breast augmentation performed through a previous breast lift incision line.  I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals in detail. When it comes to discussing size goals, I think the use of goal pictures are very helpful.

Augmentation and anchor scars

+1

Certainly an augmentation to fill out your loss of volume can be performed. This can be done with anchor incisions as well.

Augmentation and scar revision can be done together

+1

It is very possible to perform an augmentation using the existing breast scars from a mastopexy (breast lift).  Restoring the fullness of the breast with an implant is a common reason to do an augmentation.

There are many reasons for hypertrophic scarring after surgery, including genetic pre-disposition, tension on the incisions, poor circulation to the tissue (ischemia) and infection, to name a few of the more common ones.

Scar revision may not improve the appearance of your scars if you have s strong genetic predisposition.  It is worth discussing the pros and cons with your surgeon before proceeding.

Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon